Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2014, 11:57 PM

Default Can I Upgrade from PTHD8 to HD11??

I've been trying to find a PT Upgrade from 8 to 11 but it seem that only 9&10 are upgradable. Will Avid make any exceptions? If not I'll have to go to another DAW which would be a shame.
Any solutions to upgrade to PT11, please?
Thanks,
Rich
Old 01-01-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Can I Upgrade from PTHD8 to HD11??

your looking at a trade in like these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...b=popular&pn=3
your HD cards will not work with 11 so they need to be exchanged for HDX cards

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Craig is right.

There is a slight workaround. You could first upgrade to HD10 which will be $1500. Then, you could upgrade from HD10 to HD11 which will be another $600.

HD11 still will never work with your TDM system, but doing it that way, it will still give you both HD11 and HD10. You could continue using HD10 with your TDM system, and then HD11 with any interface of your choice (except for your TDM system).

However, you will have spent $2100 altogether, and for that amount of money, it may be wise to check out alternatives.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

However, you will have spent $2100 altogether, and for that amount of money, it may be wise to check out alternatives.
It's a shame that there isn't a reasonable cost upgrade path from HD8 to HD11... would've kept me in the HD camp.

However I switched to Symphony hardware and non-HD Pro Tools and the performance far surpasses my old HD3 rig.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Forgot to mention I have an HD Native Card and an HD i/o 16x16 analog. I'm really upset about this non-upgradable situation. It's shame Avid won't take my cash, why is there a different standard for 8 owners versus 9?
The double upgrade solutions are just too much money because I have to buy a new computer (trying to decide between PC Audio Labs vs The Pro Tools PC), thank you guys for the info though.

Please let me know if there are any other options for me to upgrade. Otherwise I'll be selling my HD i/o and Native card since they are useless without an upgrade of my PTHD8.
Thanks so much!
Rich
Old 01-01-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd View Post
Forgot to mention I have an HD Native Card and an HD i/o 16x16 analog. I'm really upset about this non-upgradable situation. It's shame Avid won't take my cash, why is there a different standard for 8 owners versus 9?
The double upgrade solutions are just too much money because I have to buy a new computer (trying to decide between PC Audio Labs vs The Pro Tools PC), thank you guys for the info though.

Please let me know if there are any other options for me to upgrade. Otherwise I'll be selling my HD i/o and Native card since they are useless without an upgrade of my PTHD8.
Thanks so much!
Rich
You didn't get a license with the HD Native card? HD Native didn't come out until PT9 I think???

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM

HD Native came out with 8.5

You need the 8 to 10 then 10 to 11

and this is why system details matter when you post

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-01-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
HD Native came out with 8.5
good to know, thanks!

So wow, $2100 is what it'll take?!?!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 PM

Guys, this info is not correct.

Everyone in the history of the world who bought HD Native new was eligible for a free upgrade to HD9, and there is no one that's not eligible. That's because HD Native was not available to purchase until within the grace period before PT9 was introduced. Avid has confirmed this in a similar thread somewhere on here. So even though HD 8.5 was in the box, anyone who registered the activation code for 8.5 would have immediately gotten the upgrade to HD9, with the installers placed in their account and the license automatically sent to their Ilok account.

If that didn't happen for the OP, then he's been getting shafted all these years, and should contact Avid to have this made right. Perhaps Bruce Paine could look into it for him.

The only other possibility would be if he bought the hardware used, and then bought the HD8 software used as a license transfer from someone else. In that case he would not be eligible.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Guys, this info is not correct.

Everyone in the history of the world who bought HD Native new was eligible for a free upgrade to HD9, and there is no one that's not eligible. That's because HD Native was not available to purchase until within the grace period before PT9 was introduced. Avid has confirmed this in a similar thread somewhere on here. So even though HD 8.5 was in the box, anyone who registered the activation code for 8.5 would have immediately gotten the upgrade to HD9, with the installers placed in their account and the license automatically sent to their Ilok account.

If that didn't happen for the OP, then he's been getting shafted all these years, and should contact Avid to have this made right. Perhaps Bruce Paine could look into it for him.

The only other possibility would be if he bought the hardware used, and then bought the HD8 software used as a license transfer from someone else. In that case he would not be eligible.
You are correct, if the HD Native system was purchased new and registered.
I could not find anything registered under this customer's email address or the name associated with this email address besides a Digi 002.