Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-12-2017, 04:03 AM

Default What is the status on Music in the LFE in theatrical mixes

Hi,

Just found time to check out the mixes of some contemporary Bluray discs.
Don't want to argue the case for anything today, just wondering what the status is on the hi-end Hollywood mixes: Does bass-managed music go in the LFE these days even in theatrical mixes? It sure sounds like that when going to certain theatres.

Related question:
Back in the Laserdisc days you had the chance to listen to the actual 5.1 theatrical mixes and study them. Now sourcing the theatrical mixes on Bluray seems to be pretty hard, as they are typically tweaked with regards to dialogue level, general dynamics and often even bass management on the music.

I wish I could buy BD with the original mixes on them.
Anyone with a strategy to find these?

thanx
Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Re: What is the status on Music in the LFE in theatrical mixes

There are some threads on the Blu-rays with Theatrical mixes on them.
Master & Commander is one for sure and Megamind. I'm sure there are quite a few, mid budget feature film deliverables don't usually ask for a 'nearfield' mix, so most of those will have the Theatrical.

Personally I always feed the music to the Lfe. I like the way it sounds in the theatre and the Composers like it too. I reckon why not use it if its there to be used. A lot of other feature mixers appear to be doing the same from what I've seen on Bluray soundtracks.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Theatrical score mixers are free to use the LFE channel as part of the music mix and many do - though not all. It is up to the dub mixer to dial it back or enhance it as he/she sees fit in the final mix. I think you're a little confused using the term "bass-managed music" - bass-management is part of the *playback* chain.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 AM

Hi Rich,

Perhaps it is confusing to use the word "bass-managed" as part of the sound track that is on the BD, but it is technically what some mixers do, using a Penteo
or some other plugin to send music to the LFE. It is technically the same as bass management and I am not confused about the actual use of it.
I have found out as part of tuning rooms that has bass-management in the playback chain in the usual way. sounding weird in the LFE channel on some material.
Turns out we often get double the LFE content with two cross-overs of which the one on the BD is unknown, (but typically probably around 80Hz).
The so called "near field mix" can sound pretty good if you switch off the bass management in your playback chain and instead use the LFE on the BD (last week this was evident on the latest UHD release of Deadpool BTW)
This may be confusing to end users but not to me.
To get good-sounding LFE in your Home Cinema these days you need to check what is going on in the mix you are playing back to make sure you know what you are doing.

But I wish it was clearly labelled and that we could still get at least the actual dynamics of the theatrical mix on the BD. Like in the old days of Laser and such.. It used to be possible to check out and study the theatrical mix. These days not so much.

Last edited by houser; 02-19-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 AM

Hi Cheesehead

So your view is that many/most mixers these days put Music in the LFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
There are some threads on the Blu-rays with Theatrical mixes on them.
Master & Commander is one for sure and Megamind. I'm sure there are quite a few, mid budget feature film deliverables don't usually ask for a 'nearfield' mix, so most of those will have the Theatrical.

Personally I always feed the music to the Lfe. I like the way it sounds in the theatre and the Composers like it too. I reckon why not use it if its there to be used. A lot of other feature mixers appear to be doing the same from what I've seen on Bluray soundtracks.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:07 AM

I always ask the dubbing mixer. Some hate the idea and want music without LFE, some don't mind. If they let me, I'd still only use the LFE for some special things, but definitely not an always on.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 AM

Hi Houser,
From the Blu-rays and DVD's I've looked at which apparently have original Theatrical mixes I would say yes, although its not quite as simple as that.

When I get music that has been mixed in 5.1 by the Composers I leave the Lfe content as it is in their mix.
However if the music is delivered Stereo, as is often the case in medium budget films, or if the music is from existing commercial recordings by other artists, I will add some Lfe to the stereo as part of the Upmix.
I believe many other mixers do the same.

But this doesn't necessarily apply to every track. Some pieces of orchestral or ambient /light sounding music don't need it and it would be detrimental to add it.
Like everything its a matter of taste.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 AM

I was taught to NEVER put anything in LFE that wasn't an LFE that would "work perfectly" when played at + or - 10 dB. in a theater.

Back in the '90s a DBX Subharmonic Synthesizer was normaled to the LFE buss at the Skywalker dub stages.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:30 PM

I would say you definitely wouldn't want to be relying on what's in the lfe for the body/weight of the music as if the lfe doesn't play for some reason you are screwed. I usually reserve the lfe for an "effect", be that music or fx. I generate subharmonic content and feed it to the main speakers if I'm looking for extra lowend, that way i know it will always play. The mains in a cinema setup can reproduce that content.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:38 AM

Thanx all for comments!
The reason this came up is an obvious one: that if the music or all of the program material is bass-managed in the "nearfieldmix" (like for example the Deadpool BD is) you probably need to switch off your bass management in your home cinema or deal with dual x-overs with possible artefacts as well as dual bassmanaged content with possible phasing and combing in the LFE channel. It was easier in the old days I have been googling something like the equivalent of the old-school Criterion Laserdiscs. No luck so far. Ah well..