Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 03:25 PM

Default For mastering - multiple mono or interleaved?

I've heard that mastering pros like to work with multiple mono files as opposed to an interleaved stereo file...

Is this true, and why... or is this one of those 'doesn't make much difference' things?
Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Re: For mastering - multiple mono or interleaved?

#1-I can't imagine why it would matter
#2-I always send interleaved files and have never been asked for otherwise
#3-most ME's that I know will convert to analog and route thru analog gear(so interleaved or not is mostly irrelevant)
#4-I'm hardly an expert so I will watch other's replies

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2017, 04:15 AM

Never had multiple mono files requested for mastering. Video editors sometimes prefer multiple mono, I have OMF packages from VEs come to me in this format. Not sure why, maybe it's a characteristic of FCP or Premiere workflow.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 AM

With interleaved files from Pro Tools 10 and earlier I found I could improve imaging if I converted to dual mono and then re-interleaved using different software. From PT11 and later I haven't heard this.

It obviously makes no sense at all but I could put the files on two tracks, close my eyes and spot the difference switching between them every single time.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Bob, that sounds crazy. Could it have something to do with how PT handles panning prior to PT 11? From a purely mathematical point of view what you heard makes no sense unless there was an error of some sort in the software. But as you are well aware, PT 11 does have a different audio engine, so if something was broken it apparently has been fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
With interleaved files from Pro Tools 10 and earlier I found I could improve imaging if I converted to dual mono and then re-interleaved using different software. From PT11 and later I haven't heard this.

It obviously makes no sense at all but I could put the files on two tracks, close my eyes and spot the difference switching between them every single time.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I've heard that mastering pros like to work with multiple mono files as opposed to an interleaved stereo file...
That's kinda funny, 'cause my mastering guy used to always to playfully mock me for not having the ability to create interleaved files in Tools.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
#1-I can't imagine why it would matter
#2-I always send interleaved files and have never been asked for otherwise
#3-most ME's that I know will convert to analog and route thru analog gear(so interleaved or not is mostly irrelevant)
#4-I'm hardly an expert so I will watch other's replies
#4 from albee
OK..it doesn't really matter. An ME will handle both without any problem.

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM

I moved to mastering a few years back and don't do a whole lot of mixing anymore but I wound up working on a project for someone and this subject came up again and if I'd have bet money I would have lost. On PT 12.5.2 and there still is a difference between multiple mono and stereo interleaved, though it was only some of the effects that popped through inverting the two options against each other. I was very surprised as that makes no sense to me. I wonder why this is the case...
Old 04-04-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkess View Post
I moved to mastering a few years back and don't do a whole lot of mixing anymore but I wound up working on a project for someone and this subject came up again and if I'd have bet money I would have lost. On PT 12.5.2 and there still is a difference between multiple mono and stereo interleaved, though it was only some of the effects that popped through inverting the two options against each other. I was very surprised as that makes no sense to me. I wonder why this is the case...
Great :-(
Old 04-04-2017, 03:32 PM

I'll add that I am using UAD plugins on this and perhaps that has something to do with it? I would think not but worth adding to the pot.