Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Pan and plugin windows follow selection

I've got a softkey button set up for pan windows on my Artist Control.

EUCON --> Navigation ---> Windows ---> Pan Window

One button press and it brings up the pan window for whatever track I'm on. It doesn't jump to the next track, but if I hit it once to close it and again to re-open it I'll have the new pan window for that track. Which makes it incredibly fast and easy to get the pan windows open and closed for whatever track you are working on. It's easily my most-pushed softkey button.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post

One button press and it brings up the pan window for whatever track I'm on. It doesn't jump to the next track, but if I hit it once to close it and again to re-open it I'll have the new pan window for that track. Which makes it incredibly fast and easy to get the pan windows open and closed for whatever track you are working on. It's easily my most-pushed softkey button.
Nice one! Got to try it
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post

does it ever glitch?

I have an artist mix.. but u have to behave with it..

ie select channel ( surface or on the timeline ) hit the surface's eq button,,,,

yep pops open
'

now u better remember to close the eq window.. if u change channel - then hit EQ to close the window -0 it wont close the eq window,, nor will it open the ;next' selected track window..

haveing said that I really must get a demo of the Control now I know protools a little better..

what other softkeys do u use? is there one for turning automation follows edit on and off?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
does it ever glitch?

I have an artist mix.. but u have to behave with it..

ie select channel ( surface or on the timeline ) hit the surface's eq button,,,,

yep pops open
'

now u better remember to close the eq window.. if u change channel - then hit EQ to close the window -0 it wont close the eq window,, nor will it open the ;next' selected track window..

haveing said that I really must get a demo of the Control now I know protools a little better..

what other softkeys do u use? is there one for turning automation follows edit on and off?

I know what you are talking about with the EQ window button, and I've found my pan window softkey to function far better than that. Every once in a blue moon it'll open up a different track than the one I'm on, but the vast majority of the time it works every button push and is super fast and easy.

The softkeys are user programmable. The control and the transport come with defaults, but you can program whatever you want, and in the Control have multiple layers of them. The ones I have set up include all my automation preview/punch buttons, pre/post roll, expand and close playlists, and also you can create macros (for example I've got a simple one that with one button push will copy selected audio down to an open playlist or next track over).

They are really handy, and between those and the auto-assigned flying faders you can do some pretty fast and powerful things for such a low priced control surface. I have some qualms with it, but you do get good bang for your buck. And again, the transport has softkeys and user programmable buttons too and is even cheaper. I know some people who have a transport and don't even use the wheels, just for the softkeys. Everyone's workflow is their own.