Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Exclamation Re: Best options for video output/playback with PTHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
So it sounds that moving to using AJA Kona Lhi would give me more accurate sync in playback and scrubbing, even without any other additional hardware? I just drop the card into chassis and connect my projector to AJA card, thats' all?
Not quite. My apologies if I am being ambiguous. You need a video reference generator and a SYNC HD in order to guarantee tight and consistent sync. Without both of those components, your video playback will be more susceptible to slop/drift each time you press play. This is what Frank Kruse alluded to in this thread.

In this config, the video ref generator feeds both the SYNC HD and the AJA Kona Lhi. All other connections would be as you mentioned.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Best options for video output/playback with PTHD?

Speaking of sync generators , does anyone have any recommendation between the Blackmagic Sync Generator and the AJA gen10?

(my apologies for a little thread hijack)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaudio View Post
Speaking of sync generators , does anyone have any recommendation between the Blackmagic Sync Generator and the AJA gen10?

(my apologies for a little thread hijack)
The BM can not output Black-Burst and TriLevel at the same time, AFAIK. The AJA can but the two formats are not aligned.

Apart from that they do the same things.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 AM

ESE dV 319 does time aligned tri and bkack

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 AM

Rosendahl Nanosyncs HD too...

http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.de/nanosyncs.html

Kuba
Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 AM

Many thanks!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
My apologies if I am being ambiguous...
No need for apologies Chief, you have been very helpful! I installed today Kona Lhi into ExpressBox 3T. Also AJA Kona LHi Software 10.5.2 and and AJA_OpenIO-10_4_9. Mac can now see the card. But when I play PT session with video track, I cannot see any video coming out from Lhi. I guess I have to mess with AJA Control Panel settings some more...

The price difference between old blue SYNC HD and new purple SYNC HD is quite big. It looks that Pro Tools 11 HD doesn’t officially support the blue one. But is anyone using it anyway with PT 11 HD? Featurewise they do look similar.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM

I use a genlocked Mojo system for my HD rig. No Sync HD, I use a MOTU Digital Timepiece. A Horita blackburst sent to both Mojo and DT.

The DT only does SD framerates (no 23.976), and the Mojo only plays out SD framerates, which seems to work ok since the Mojo automatically pulls down 23 or 24fps video in realtime on playback.

Using a synccheck, as far as I can tell It is frame edge aligned.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Just installed a BM Decklink SDI 4K on my W8 system, and having zero success with either HD10 or HD11 even recognizing it. At least I'm assuming they don't recognize it because the Video Out PCIe option doesn't appear. Latest BM drivers are installed and the device is active in Device Manager. Is there some secret to making PT and BM play nice together?
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Okay, looks like my Decklink SDI 4K card won't work with PT10HD, but 11 sees it fine and appears to think it's sending video out, but I still haven't gotten picture. I am using an SDI to HDMI converter, though, further complicated by an HDMI to DVI cable, so this is a suspect weak link in the chain.

Is it standard practice to convert the SDI signal to HDMI and use stock LCD TV's, or is everybody using pricey SDI monitors for ADR and Foley?
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7