How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 AM

Default Mono/Stereo plug-in

Hey all,
What is the best way to keep a mono track mono, when inserting a reverb mono/stereo plug-in? I'm noticing the track is converted to stereo when I place the plug-in on the track.

I was told that panning the left and right channels of a stereo track to center is not the best way to go mono, as this could cause phasing issues in which you are essentially placing the left and right channels on top of each other. Instead take either the right or left channel. If this can remedy the mono/stereo plug-in problem, how can this be done?

Appreciate any help.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Mono/Stereo plug-in

Reverb plugins are best used in a send-to-aux track configuration. Especially if you need to keep the original source mono. Also, depending on the situation, panning a mono track to one side and sending to a mono reverb panned to the other side can be very effective.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lederhosen View Post
Hey all,
What is the best way to keep a mono track mono, when inserting a reverb mono/stereo plug-in? I'm noticing the track is converted to stereo when I place the plug-in on the track.
You can't. By definition you've made it a stereo audio path.

As Albee noted, you shouldn't be using Inserts for time based effects anyway. Why?

1. it's inefficient, you end up using more instances since no other track can access it.
2. also because any plugs that come after are now stereo as well, unnecessarily.
3. control for the amount of effect is buried inside the plug, not on a send where it belongs.
4. more importantly, when you adjust the amount using a mix control inside the plug, you are turning down direct signal while turning up wet signal, not simply adding the wet to the dry as it is when you do it properly.

Having said all that... there are occasions where I will Insert a mono slap delay that is exclusive to the track and that I know I won't be touching.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:26 PM

If the plugin has that option, insert it in (mono). I know the spring reverb stompbox has that.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Appreciate all the responses guys.