Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Default CPU maxing out and audio drop out while using VI

I have a distinctive issue when using any VI within Pro Tools (all versions, 9, 10, 11 and now 12.82) even with only 1 VI (say mini Grand) and nothing else, when i play notes inevitably and repeatedly, my audio would cut off suddenly and then restore within 1 to 2 seconds which i believe also coincides with the master CPU meter showing 100% or close to 100% usage (in the red)
this on a 2011 iMac with a 4 core I7 processor through an UA Apollo 16. I have gone from Mountain Lion to Mavericks and now Sierra and still the same thing. All the UA drivers are up to date and it happens when i use a buffer from 32 all the way to 256 samples, above that i haven't really tried. This during live playing from an M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard set on direct link.
nothing i have done (cleared out PT preferences) has done anything to alleviate this problem, does any one have any clues?
I cannot see how my OS, my PT software or the UA interface can suffer from this issue where no one else i know has ever experienced this issue. IS it possibly my iMac?
i am running 32GB of memory, before that i had 8GB and i also tried playing the CPU cores assignment, that did not work either

Last edited by zimmies; 11-16-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Re: CPU maxing out and audio drop out while using VI

Session on a separate/approved hard drive?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-16-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmies View Post
I have a distinctive issue when using any VI within Pro Tools (all versions, 9, 10, 11 and now 12.82) even with only 1 VI (say mini Grand) and nothing else, when i play notes inevitably and repeatedly, my audio would cut off suddenly and then restore within 1 to 2 seconds which i believe also coincides with the master CPU meter showing 100% or close to 100% usage (in the red)
this on a 2011 iMac with a 4 core I7 processor through an UA Apollo 16. I have gone from Mountain Lion to Mavericks and now Sierra and still the same thing. All the UA drivers are up to date and it happens when i use a buffer from 32 all the way to 256 samples, above that i haven't really tried. This during live playing from an M-Audio Axiom 61 keyboard set on direct link.
nothing i have done (cleared out PT preferences) has done anything to alleviate this problem, does any one have any clues?
I cannot see how my OS, my PT software or the UA interface can suffer from this issue where no one else i know has ever experienced this issue. IS it possibly my iMac?
i am running 32GB of memory, before that i had 8GB and i also tried playing the CPU cores assignment, that did not work either
Could be your iMac. What do you have for a system drive? Please tell us it's not a Fusion drive as those are death to audio recording.

QAPLA!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:05 PM

And do you have a fusion drive inside the iMac or a 7200 rpm spinner or an SSD?

Great minds think alike Jack We posted at the exact same time.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And do you have a fusion drive inside the iMac or a 7200 rpm spinner or an SSD?

Great minds think alike Jack We posted at the exact same time.
Crazy ain't it?

QAPLA!