Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 AM

Default window configurations and markers advice

as I am getting deeper into protools I am trying to replicate some behaviours I am acustomed too,..

basically track organisation... yes 120+ tracks is wonderful - but unwieldly..

discovered markers - show hide,,

handy for say just bringing up my foley tracks... or ambiences - masters or dialog etc

starting to use window config for my own styly - ( show hide surround etc )

--> am I really going to have to 'import session data' into a template set up with markers for recalling track show hides??

and window configurations? ( I guess I can import markers using inport session data. but no option for wind configs.. - jus want all my projects to be the same - and my understanding of protools has evolved as I move thru the project.. ( sorry still yearn for my fairlight sometimes! )

this is my first surround projec ( in protools 10 ) - ( usually I just use protools for foley tracking ) have always mixed in DP

also automation snap shots... any good tutorial out there?

I am looking for something to snap shot just EQ - ( - and even that feels a bit alien...

do I have to turn suspend it to tweak the eq? then snap shot it? historically I wouldnt care - just tweak - and somewhere along he timeline I would get it right - then stop playback - drag a range and hit the snapshot button - chose active values only and bingo!

would love that back! ☺

any particular pages of the manual to look at? ( sorry quite a lot of pressure here! baby twins eating time and 3 different projects ont he go at once!!! hair? what hair? )
Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Default Re: window configurations and markers advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
just tweak - and somewhere along he timeline I would get it right - then stop playback - drag a range and hit the snapshot button - chose active values only and bingo!
This sounds like Preview Automation :
automation window "preview" ,track to touch(latch)
make selection , playback , tweak EQ , "write to all" or automation window "manual write to selection" , stop , ok the message.
"Active values" are the ones you touched/changed.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 AM

There is a checkbox option to import window configurations in the import session data window. If you need to bring in window configs from another session then that is the only way to do it. Incorporating this into a session template would save having to do this for every new session.

Here is a video explaining automation preview mode.

Justin
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Perhaps stating the obvious here, but the most dangerous preference in Pro Tools that defaults the wrong way is "Plug-In Controls Default to Auto-Enabled." Make sure that's on, then all the Preview stuff will make sense.

I have a few mix templates that I obsess over, and then import audio into them, rather than the other way around.

Show/hide markers and plug-ins show/hide in window configs don't always survive being imported into another session... another reason to make a great template and start there instead of importing session data.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 AM

remember control + click on a group will show only that group (another nifty project orientation shortcut)

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM

thanks - some really good tips here..

that video nailed it for me - thanks - a new way of working for me!

I probably would have gone the suspend option... but preview might be better - I will try in premix tomorrow - tonight is foley on an animation.

havent really experimented with groups or VCA stuff yet - I can see they might be useful tho.. especially when u need to trim stuff..

( actually I really do love protools implemetation of clip gain.. )

and thanks for confirmin that importing to the updated template is the way to go... actually importing sessions is another great feature in PT - target tracks - and match tracks is great

handnt actually found the window configs import option when I looked a day or so ago could have been lack of sleep .... the 3am stereo chorus again! ( twins teething - well at least I can get a lifetime supply of baby crying record )
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Perhaps stating the obvious here, but the most dangerous preference in Pro Tools that defaults the wrong way is "Plug-In Controls Default to Auto-Enabled." Make sure that's on, then all the Preview stuff will make sense.

I have a few mix templates that I obsess over, and then import audio into them, rather than the other way around.

Show/hide markers and plug-ins show/hide in window configs don't always survive being imported into another session... another reason to make a great template and start there instead of importing session data.

Good luck!

thanks! and yes that 'plug in default' was biting me til I did a bit of reading of the the manual the other week.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 AM

so anyways - I am on the 5th cut of this movie - far too much CG for its own good haha...

anyways am I missing a trick ?

getting tiresome to update markers constantly ( ie 1 = all tracks - 2 - mono SFX - 3 = stereo SFX - 4 - ambience

or is this where I should be using groups?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 AM

How do you update markers, precisely ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-22-2014, 04:10 AM

recall marker...

that calls up tracks via show hide

update the show hide - hit enter ( numeric )

change marker number it suggests to existing marker numner - u can replace the existing.....

this is all becos I like the frame preview... with 2 vid tracks u can see where the edits are quite easily...

I am still working on my film template - very slowly - as I am doing a few other things..

interestingly an old thread on surround templates has been resuurected... havent read it yet - might be a bit late for this project..

I am expecting probably 2 more cuts on this job...