Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-05-2000, 02:04 PM

Default Guitar miking & 001

Anyone got any recomendations on miking a VOX AC30? Right now I'm using 57's and beta 57's. Thanks
Old 05-05-2000, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Guitar miking & 001

good mic choice. Some people like 414's but I have almost always used a 57. My advise is to move around till it sounds good.
Sweetwater sound has a mic clinic that may be of some help to you.
I would mic at about 4 o'clock and vary from center to perimeter as
the sound quality permitted, and anywhere from
2" to a foot away. I like also to use ambient mics in the background 1 maybe 2. recording in the bathroom is interesting option too. I once put a smaaal amp in the dryer with a mic
I think downy would have improved the sound.....

Mike

Many saw the apple fall, Newton asked "why?".

[This message has been edited by slotools (edited May 05, 2000).]
Old 05-05-2000, 09:20 PM

I've used 57s, 58s, 414s and 421s, and a U87 for the room. They all work depending on what you're after. I've only use the more "classic" positions. Where the 57 is located in relation to the cone makes a pretty big difference. I USUALLY have it near the edge, but pointing more toward the middle or center of the cone.

Here's a little off-the-wall suggestion: try mic'ing the actual solid-body guitar in addition to your amp. Think of it like you were mic'ing a Martin. Add just a little bit in the mix. It will add some unique edge 'cause it's getting the pick slapping the string and the acoustic string sound. I find it especially adds some life to a heavily effected guitar part (rather than using this with a clean part). I've also had really good success taking a D/I as well as the amp sound and mixing the D/I into the mix a little - it adds clarity to a heavily distorted guitar sound. I did a really cool effect once by panning the effected guitar and the clean guitar to one side, but used only the clean guitar for a delay setting panned to the other side.

------------------
LW

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited May 05, 2000).]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 05-09-2000, 10:28 AM

Some excellent suggestions here. I have been experimenting with an larger diaphragm AKG condenser mic and it has been working real well in some of the positions as indicated above. Hey...you got to try different things.....
If you are really into getting that perfect sound, you could spend a whole day with mic placement. I tend to use a Flextone II direct and it is just wonderful 99% of the time and saves me a lot of headaches. I use an EQ to change a lot of the dynamics from there. A tube mic pre-amp has also yielded some great results with the Flextone DIing.

Paul G.
Old 05-09-2000, 11:04 AM

Hey Whats Up,
I just had a simple question.I'm really new to recording and was just wondering......
Should I put some EQ (In PT Le) on the guitar when doing the initial recording or should I not even touch the EQ until after the guitar is tracked....I really want to get a deep bassy heavy distorted guitar.....Your expertise and advise is greatly appreciated.......
The Trash Man.....
Old 05-09-2000, 03:35 PM

re EQ: It won't matter in PTLE (or virtually any other host-based DAW) because the EQ used for a plugin comes AFTER the signal is recorded to disk.

My suggestion: get as close as you can from the source (guitar/amp/effects unit).

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 05-10-2000, 11:16 PM

...and any good suggestion on miking an ACOUSTIC guitar? I have an AKG414 and a CAD E200 and some time the sound is quite confuse, at most when there is a free-string A sound.
Thanks in advance
Gigi
Old 05-11-2000, 02:23 AM

gigi, you probably found the same to be true, but so far with the E-200, in cardiod, putting it 2-4" from the 12th fret. More towards the hole for a darker sound. Whether the player strums closer to the bridge or the neck also makes a huge difference.

Along with this, adding two condensers in a stereo pair about 5' away can blend in some fidelity, but most prefer the "intimate" sound of just the close mic.

Sorry, hope you can covert the inches/feet to metric!

What have you found to sound good with the CAD?

[This message has been edited by CCash (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old 05-12-2000, 11:43 PM

Thank you very much, CCash.
Good results with your suggestion, I also noted that with the microphones so close to the instrument, the sound change very much as I change the mic position with very little movements.
And is very frustrating not to be able to obtain a good sound every day, it seems to sound completely different if I try the same configuration one day after!
Ciao
Gigi
Old 05-15-2000, 01:30 PM

Hi everyone !
I believe nothing beats a good miking (a 57 up close and a larger condenser for the ambience) BUT ... :
frankly, do yourself a favour and check out the POD (from Line6). It's so easy and it's VERY close to good miking (certainly better than average miking - if a verb such as "miking" exists). There are tons of patches available on the web, and I would say that if you're not playing solo guitar (I mean "a capella" - "a vox ac30a" if you like, I just mean guitar all by itself), in a mix the POD would do the job, without hassle, with plenty of choice and lots of fab sounds.
I do music for commercials -advertising - every day, and one day I need a 60's Motown guitar, the next day a blues thingy, and a grunge-Prodigy-industrio-chainsaw the next afternoon. I'd need Voxes (an AC30 AND an AC15), a couple of Marshalls and several vintage Fender tweeds n' blackfaces to get all that this little weird-o-kidney-box offers. Truly one gadget I can't live without.
I'm not preaching here, it's just that this thing has made life sooo much easier to me.
Enjoy !

------------------
Paul Curtiz / Scratch Studio