Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 AM

Default Normalize plugin buggy behavior. PT 10

When using the normalize plugin in PT10 on some dialogue tracks I've been getting some pretty inconsistent results when processing peak volume. Some clips have been rendering much lower in volume then what I've set the Normalize level to in which case I have to render the clip multiple times before it completely normalizes.

Also, for the clips that fail to normalize within the first render, if you open the Gain plugin and click on find level, the results will be off there as well, reading much louder then they actually are.

Is it possible that Pro Tools 10 isn't recognizing gain correctly on regions?

This is occurring on clips that have no volume automation or clip gain.

Can anyone else reproduce/confirm this as well?

-Justin
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Normalize plugin buggy behavior. PT 10

Not seeing that here.

Why not use render clip gain?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:57 AM

I'm having the exact same issue. Sometimes it will perform the peak normalization and other times it won't. There have been moments when I click Render and it only normalizes slightly...if I keep hitting Render, it will incrementally go up - maybe a dB or two each time. I've experienced the same thing with Gain. If I check to see what the peak level of a clip is, it will sometimes not read it, then other times it will. VERY interruptive to my workflow.

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 11-04-2011, 02:20 PM

The last two sessions I did were plagued with this nonsense - very frustrating. I sure hope they get this fixed right away! I've done all the "trashing prefs" etc., nothing has helped.

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM

This smells of the same problem people are experiencing with izotope Rx. The thread can be seen here.

I would try making sure both "Whole File" is disabled and you're not setting a handle length when you process your audio. Basically making it work like in previous versions of PT.

It seems to me that PT is looking at more of your audio files than what you have in your timeline (selection plus handle length) and basing its calculations on that.

Worth a shot anyway.

Trent Richmond
Sound Editor
IMDB
MacPro5,1 - PT HD 12.7 - HDN/Omni - OSX 10.12.3
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Boy, what a great thought Trent - it truly does seem like it's looking at more than just the file I'm on. I'll check that right away. Whole Files is disabled. I just turned off HANDLES in the preferences....maybe this will help. I did a test and it worked correctly, but I'll need to give it some more testing. I'll make a note to post back what I find. Thanks again for the great idea!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 AM

Having issues with Serato pitch n time pro as well
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Charlotte View Post
Boy, what a great thought Trent - it truly does seem like it's looking at more than just the file I'm on. I'll check that right away. Whole Files is disabled. I just turned off HANDLES in the preferences....maybe this will help. I did a test and it worked correctly, but I'll need to give it some more testing. I'll make a note to post back what I find. Thanks again for the great idea!
I think this is not a bug when we´re talking about normalizing. The plugin HAS to consider the level in the handles otherwise the data in the handles will be clipped even if the selected clip is very low.
So when you select a clip with rather low level but in the handles there is full scale sound the plugin can not apply any gain change because otherwise the handles would be clipped.

There is no real way around this other than turning off the handle. If you have handles turned on the plugin will have to take audio outside your selection into consideration before applying the effect. SO it depends on the type of plugin you´re applying if handles make sense of not.

Frank.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM

I have absolutely HAD IT with this issue. It has been such a pain. I continue to have Normalize not working intermittently. I even turned Handles OFF and it works sometimes and other times it does not....same with using Gain to determine the Peak level of a clip. Frustrating is not even the right word.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM

For me the normalize audiosuite has never worked properly; especially not, when batch processing in the "region by region mode"

So nothing new here.
Sorry,
Timothy