Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Avid

Default Re: Rewire issue - Midi Input Problem trying to launch Reason

Can you try the Instrument track suggestion and let me know if it's working or not?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Yes...I too am having the same annoying problem. I'm currently running 10.5.8, Reason 3.0, and PTLE 8.0.3
Like Bunderson in his post above, I'm using Reason as plugin on an Aux track to monitor Reason via Rewire into Pro Tools. Then if I need, I output the Reason Aux track to an instrument track in PT and record it into PT.

PT is not letting me do this now. And it does not communicate with Reason anymore. I get the MIDI light flashing on my 002r when I hit a key on my MIDI controller (M-Audio Keystation 88es), but this MIDI information is not being sent into Pro Tools, nor is it relayed to Reason.

Tried updating to 8.0.3 to see if it would work, but this did not fix the problem.

Tried unchecking all "use with Reason" boxes in Reason midi preferences. Did not change anything.

My Mac is recognizing the MIDI signal during my test in the Midi setup, so I know that the 002r is communicating with my Mac.

The 002r is maybe not relaying the signal to PT software.

I have "MIDI Thru" enabled, and the "Note" option is not checked.

Every MIDI setting is in its proper place, and I've tried every fix that I've read about online. Nothing is working.

This glitch is keeping me from doing my work. ERGH. This really seems like a PT problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunderson View Post
No I've never done it like that before. I always add the rewire plugin to an Aux track, then send the output of that to bus 1-2 and then use an audio track with an input of bus 1-2 to record the output from reason.

I've been doing it this way for 2-3 years but all of a sudden - bang. It's not working any more.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Avid

Are you using a MIDI track to route MIDI data to the Aux track? Is the MIDI track record enabled? What is the input and output of the MIDI track set to?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM

I am using an Aux track upon which I have inserted Reason as a plugin. In the past, this is all I needed to do in order to hear my Reason devices play thru Pro Tools. I'd like to continue doing it this way, as I have numerous sessions set up like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Are you using a MIDI track to route MIDI data to the Aux track? Is the MIDI track record enabled? What is the input and output of the MIDI track set to?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM

RE: suggestion to open an instrument track for MIDI

Yes, when using an Instrument Track I can route MIDI to where I can hear the Reason device playing through Pro Tools Instrument track.
However, Reason will not allow me to record to it's sequencer when I use Pro Tools MIDI this way.
Why can't I simply use an AUX track with Reason inserted anymore???
Then I'd be able to record into Reason but still monitor through Pro Tools, and also be set up to easily record the Reason tracks into Pro Tools when the track is ready.

Why is Pro Tools forcing me into routing through it's MIDI instead of Reason's?
Is Rewire bugging out?

Quote:
Can you try the Instrument track suggestion and let me know if it's working or not?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminX View Post
RE: suggestion to open an instrument track for MIDI

Yes, when using an Instrument Track I can route MIDI to where I can hear the Reason device playing through Pro Tools Instrument track.
However, Reason will not allow me to record to it's sequencer when I use Pro Tools MIDI this way.
Why can't I simply use an AUX track with Reason inserted anymore???
Then I'd be able to record into Reason but still monitor through Pro Tools, and also be set up to easily record the Reason tracks into Pro Tools when the track is ready.

Why is Pro Tools forcing me into routing through it's MIDI instead of Reason's?
Is Rewire bugging out?
Yes I agree with all of this posted by BenjaminX. Everything seems to be in the right place, in fact I have not actually touched any settings at all, and am completely unsure of why it's not working any more. I also need to be able to record midi to the sequencer in Reason like BanjaminX but as there is no signal coming through, has completely thrown me.

I just can figure out what's changed.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Hello Tech Folks. Still trying to solve this issue...
Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated!
I'll also comb the Propellerhead site...

Bunderson: you have any new leads for troubleshooting this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunderson View Post
Yes I agree with all of this posted by BenjaminX. Everything seems to be in the right place, in fact I have not actually touched any settings at all, and am completely unsure of why it's not working any more. I also need to be able to record midi to the sequencer in Reason like BanjaminX but as there is no signal coming through, has completely thrown me.

I just can figure out what's changed.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminX View Post
Hello Tech Folks. Still trying to solve this issue...
Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated!
I'll also comb the Propellerhead site...

Bunderson: you have any new leads for troubleshooting this?
Hi BenjaminX - nope, still not found a fix for this.

I've been trying to think of anything I've changed on my computer but I really havent done anything to it. I'm at a complete dead end.

Tech folks? Any other advice we can give a go? I really am getting desperate to get this resolved now.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Avid

What you're trying to do isn't the 'approved or tested' method. Reason in ReWire mode is only meant to work with MIDI running through Pro Tools, so it may not work properly in the way you're trying to use it.

With THAT said - if you want to have MIDI going directly to Reason, you have to go back to Reason Preferences and enable those MIDI ports and/or control surfaces and disable them from the MIDI Input Devices of Pro Tools (otherwise you end up with a conflict because MIDI would then be going to both apps simultaneously).

Make sense?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
What you're trying to do isn't the 'approved or tested' method. Reason in ReWire mode is only meant to work with MIDI running through Pro Tools, so it may not work properly in the way you're trying to use it.

With THAT said - if you want to have MIDI going directly to Reason, you have to go back to Reason Preferences and enable those MIDI ports and/or control surfaces and disable them from the MIDI Input Devices of Pro Tools (otherwise you end up with a conflict because MIDI would then be going to both apps simultaneously).

Make sense?
Makes perfect sense - but it's still not working. Can you please tell me exactly what settings to have turned on or off in Pro Tools because what I'm trying is getting me nowhere.

Thanks.