Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM

Default Comparison of HD, LE and M-Powered?

Hello:

I'm an M-Audio ProFire 2626 owner with a small home studio looking at trading up to PT M-Powered from Acid Pro 7.

But I've had trouble finding a comparison chart of HD, LE, and M-Powered on the Digi website. Does such a chart exist? Specifically what I'm looking to compare are features and included instruments and effects plugs.

It would also be great to know what items that aren't included in M-Powered I am able to add back by buying separately. For example, I did notice that LE users can upgrade to a DV package that M-Powered customers can't.

Finally, I heard that there may be an issue with plugin delay compensation in M-Powered and maybe also LE. Is this really an issue? My style of music uses a lot of "vintage style" compression, etc. which I believe probably required PDC. I have also been known to use mastering dynamics plugs on all of my busses to tighten up the submixes. I'd love users' opinions and experiences here.

Finally, I just orderd Omnisphere. I assume that this synth works great with Pro Tools M-Powered?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Comparison of HD, LE and M-Powered?

* Welcome to the DUC *

(somebody else gonna get 'em-I'm not gonna say anything)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM

thanks for the welcome :)

awww... you're not going to humor the newbie? really, i searched the forum for "comparison HD LE M-Powered" and I looked all over the digi website. i even watched like an hour of promotional/instructional video on the digidesign youtube site! it's not like i'm not tryin ;-)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Since u put it so Nicsely

Ok but here's the thing, they do specify pretty much everything on Digi's site when U look @ the Overview or details...1 of 'em; So what exactly are u tryin to find out?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Well, mostly I'm looking for the equivalent of this (for m current DAW): http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro/compare for the 3 versions of Pro Tools.

I looked at the overviews, but they seem to mostly highlight what's new in each of them but not the differences.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Oh; PT is too grown for that kinda stuff

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM

well, maybe the forum members can help me out then since i can't really tell what i'm getting and what i'm missing out on with m-powered.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Ok D, 4real 4real, what are u tryin to get? I mean of course u won't get everything in HD so that shouldn't even be a thought in comparison besides the fact u can get the same version of PT; LE for that matter doesn't have all the things HD has... Again, if u don't know really what u want, & can't tell us, we can't help u; I mean again, it pretty much spills it out on the site what u get/not get with each; U know u won't get a Interface per se buying M-Powered; After that, its a toss up if we don't know what ur lookin for...U feel me?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 PM

Well, I gotta crash, early morning tomorrow esp. with daylight savings time change and all. Seeing what the full "big brother" feature list is and then seeing the subsets helps me understand what's missing without thinking too hard about what should be in a DAW. But I will start with this and probably add more tomorrow:

1) is there a list of instruments and plugins that comes bundled with the different versions of PT? (A link here will suffice.) Is there anything as an M-Powered user you wish you had?

2) what's the story i'm hearing with no latency compensation for recording or plugin delay compensation for insert plugs? is that true? is it a problem for real-world? if so, is it something that is going to be addressed in a point release or is this something that is intentionally left out (and why)?

3) How is PT M-Powered with multicore CPU utilization? Does it balance softsynths and buss/insert plugin effects across the CPUs evenly? (When you have a heavily loaded project and bring up Task Manager, do you see all 4 of your cores evenly loaded or do you max out on one and the others are at 2%?

4) I noticed PT8 comes with 8GB of loops. But I got worried when I saw that it comes with Torq DJ. Does that mean you have to rewire in an app to handle loops elegantly, or can PT do the kinds of automatic auditioning and inserting (beat-stretching, pitch shifting) of sampled loops like Acid? Or can PT do this natively?

5) The internal native plugs--are these "pro quality" (e.g., as good as you might get from Waves, Sonnox native plugs) or are they just there to fill out the checkboxes?

6) General question--is there anything you wish PT8 M-Powered did that LE and HD do?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Ok, now u just showed us all what we get on all newbs about; U have absolutely NOT searched any of this as everything u asked is fully discussed to some sort of extent; there isn't anyone here that can factually answer #3 because that falls on ur rig;#5, I don't know if ur actually serious or not...
#6, I don't have M-Powered so I can't answer that 1...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY