Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Automation AppleScripts for Pro Tools (Mac)

Very useful! Great job! Thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 AM

Hi Oliver.

First thanks a lot for sharing this, it's been quite usefull to me.

I was wondering if there is a way to use such a script to open the " Output window " for the currently active/selected track in the edit window ?

I guess this has something to do with something like this :

Code:
activate application "Pro Tools" delay shortDelay
tell application "System Events"
tell process "Pro Tools"
tell (1st window whose title contains "Edit: ")
tell pop up button I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PUT HERE
set {xPosition, yPosition} to position
set {xSize, ySize} to size
my cliClick("c:" & xPosition + (xSize div 2) & "," &
end tell end tell
end tell end tell
I just dont know what to put in the middle ahah .

Thanks a lot
Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steackbeatz View Post
Hi Oliver.

First thanks a lot for sharing this, it's been quite usefull to me.

I was wondering if there is a way to use such a script to open the " Output window " for the currently active/selected track in the edit window ?

I guess this has something to do with something like this :

Code:
activate application "Pro Tools" delay shortDelay
tell process "Pro Tools"
tell pop up button I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PUT HERE
set {xPosition, yPosition} to position
set {xSize, ySize} to size
my cliClick("c:" & xPosition + (xSize div 2) & "," &
end tell end tell
end tell end tell
I just dont know what to put in the middle ahah .

Thanks a lot

It is possible but not that easy to accomplish. The currently selected track has to be determined which is the tricky part. ;-) I have created several different scripts which all deal with the currently selected track in Pro Tools and was planing to release them with a Vol. 3 package of my Pro Tools scripts but I'm not sure when. ;-)

Last edited by Oliver M; 08-09-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks mate.

Indeed, I guess it's not that easy. :)
I took a glance at soundflow, they provide many great features but I don't need the vast majority of them.
I hope you're gonna release your new package soon.

But you seem to have a different approach from soundflow since you share your work for free.
From what you just said I understand that you managed to deal with the " currently selected track" , would you mind sharing a bit of your knowledge and/or help/guide me to find a way to script that function.

I'm a sound editor and the "output window" shortcut would be a must have for me.

Thanks to you I was able to create " audiosuite render " and " audiosuite preview" shortcuts​ , I just added them on 2 of my Logitech MX master mouse buttons along with "write to all enabled" on a third button ( that one didn't ask for a script though) .
If I could find the way to shortcut the output window for quickly show and process PANs while I edit I would be the happiest man on Earth .

Thanks in advance.
Axel

send from my OnePlus 3T
Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
It is possible but not that easy to accomplish. The currently selected track has to be determined which is the tricky part.
I used UI Browser to try to find anything related to a "selected track" thing but I wasn't able to find such a reference.

With everything that I learned from this thread and from the applescript 101 I read, I guess the script itself should be kinda easy to write once you know how to tell protools to perform an operation related to a "selected track" .

Thank you for your time.

PS: I've gone through the entire thread and I'm not asking you to give me your code as is (I understand your point of view on that matter). I just need to get a little push into the right direction on how to do so. :)

send from my OnePlus 3T
Old 05-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I used UI Browser to try to find anything related to a "selected track" thing but I wasn't able to find such a reference.
Open the track list view and try again (with UI Browser that is). ;-)

Quote:
With everything that I learned from this thread and from the applescript 101 I read, I guess the script itself should be kinda easy to write once you know how to tell protools to perform an operation related to a "selected track" .
My script contains 244 lines of code, so yeah, pretty easy.

Quote:
I've gone through the entire thread and I'm not asking you to give me your code as is (I understand your point of view on that matter). I just need to get a little push into the right direction on how to do so. :)
I hope I could help with the little hint regarding track list view. ;-)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 PM

Thanks Oliver.

I'm going to keep searching, hopefully I'll find something. :)

I wasn't trying to brag when I wrote " kinda easy " hehe.
I see you took it with distance and the necessary sense of humour.

More seriously, are 244 lines of code really necessary or can I consider that most of your code is used to make sure the script is usable for anybody ?

send from my OnePlus 3T
Old 05-27-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks Oliver.

I'm going to keep searching, hopefully I'll find something. :)

I wasn't trying to brag when I wrote " kinda easy " hehe.
I see you took it with distance and the necessary sense of humour.

More seriously, are 244 lines of code really necessary or can I consider that most of your code is used to make sure the script is usable for anybody ?

send from my OnePlus 3T
It is the basic script code which contains OS and PT version checks, variables and subroutines etc.
It determines if Edit or Mix Window is frontmost, which track and what kind of track (audio, instrument, auxiliary, master, others being ignored) is currently selected and then displays a dialog with the name of given track.
The display dialog code has to be replaced with whatever you like to do with the currently selected track.

Something like:

Code:
	tell process "Pro Tools"
			click button "Output Window button" of group "Audio IO" of group trackName -- trackName = currently selected track variable
		end tell
	end tell
end tell
Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 AM

Hi Oliver,
I am researching applescript for pro tools, I'm wondering how you would approach this task, if it's possible to do it...
My aim is with one click mute some predefined tracks, record enable another and start recording. In other words implement a "muting matrix", where I have N tracks and for several situations I need to mute certain tracks and leave others on, record enable another... but I'm finding it can only be made with mouseclicks, that means i cannot know in what state (muted or unmuted) a certain track is. Any clue?
On the other hand, the mouseclick technique relies on a fixed window layout, isn't it?
Thank you
Old 07-10-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi Oliver,
I am researching applescript for pro tools, I'm wondering how you would approach this task, if it's possible to do it...
My aim is with one click mute some predefined tracks, record enable another and start recording. In other words implement a "muting matrix", where I have N tracks and for several situations I need to mute certain tracks and leave others on, record enable another... but I'm finding it can only be made with mouseclicks, that means i cannot know in what state (muted or unmuted) a certain track is. Any clue?
On the other hand, the mouseclick technique relies on a fixed window layout, isn't it?
Thank you
Hello,

absolutely this can be done without mouse clicks as long as you know the names of given tracks, else you have to determine which tracks are currently in what state with a rather complicated check.
One of my scripts, that I use every day, checks whether certain tracks are record enabled or not and record enables them if not.
The same "current state checks" can be done with muted tracks or soloed tracks.

Mouse clicks can be performed by button position. You first determine their position and then engage a click at that position, e.g. with the Command Line Interface utility cliClick.

I hope this helps.

Oliver