Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Default Re: Introducing Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation

Thanks for posting the news!

Blue Cat's Destructor is indeed now available for purchase with 20% off until 11/11, while existing customers get an extra 10% discount during the same period (check your email!).

More details about the plug-in and demo downloads can be found on the Destructor plug-in page. You can now try it by yourself and tell us what you think!

You may also want to check out these first reviews of the plug-in:
- Pro Tools Expert Video Review of Blue Cat's Destructor for Guitars
- Studio One Expert Video Review of Blue Cat's Destructor for Guitars
- Blue Cat's Destructor Review on Audiofanzine (French), with many audio examples - sounds are not in French
Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Introducing Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation

I'll watch for it. I've got a number of distortion/saturation plugins already, but this is impressive. A discount might convince me to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Destructor is now available. See here: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products...ct_Destructor/

Registered users/owners of other Blue Cat stuff watch for an email with a limited time discount code.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 AM
Blue Cat Audio

If you want to know more about what the plug-in can do, or if you just want to learn how to get the best of it, Groove 3 has released a great in-depth training for Blue Cat's Destructor that really covers all features (including side chain distortion - yes you can do that too!):

We have partnered with them so that you can get a free 30 days access pass to watch this tutorial or any other (there is more than 1200 hours of videos). No account is required to watch the intro video by the way, which is already a good overview of the plug-in.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:05 PM

Please Blue Cat Audio, make Patchwork finally scan the plugins and show us the list. You said it was in your "TO-DO's" list last year. PLEASE!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 AM
Blue Cat Audio

It is indeed not in the "DONE" list yet!
Old 10-17-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianduarte View Post
Please Blue Cat Audio, make Patchwork finally scan the plugins and show us the list. You said it was in your "TO-DO's" list last year. PLEASE!
Would you please enlighten me as to what this would bring to the table? Not trying to be sarcastic but I can't see what this would do for me. Already you can see a list of your plugins when you go to add one to Patchwork.

QAPLA!
Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
And here is another video showing a few clean and crunch tones on a simple funky riff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZwOdyK-Tk
This is an excellent plug and has many possibilities as both a great studio plug, and also as a guitar amp sim, ..,

Just a question I could not find the answer too in the manual (or FAQ)

Q - In the post filter section :
.., under presets for the guitar , and the bass guitar submenus,
are these presets Impulse Responses (I.R's) for speaker cabinet simulations or EQ emulation for various speaker cabinets.

also related

Q - .., If say I had some guitar cabinet I.Rs (eg: Rosen , Ownhammer etc) Is it possible to load these into Destructor ?

If it is NOT possible to directly load my own "I.R's" into destructor ,
...., Then I am guessing I just bypass / disable destructors post filter (via the power button just to the far left of the post filter , 'OR' select a non-cab type preset (if post filter is left on) ?
...., after which I could then place an I.R loader plugin after Destructor (ie; within the hosts plugin insert slots)
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 07-18-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:59 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Glad that you like it!

The presets of the post filter section are not impulse responses, but filter settings based on curves inspired by real hardware.

You can indeed bypass the post filter section if you want to use your own impulses (Destructor will not load impulses). But you may actually want to keep it active, in case you need to EQ the signal a little bit, either to reproduce the filtering of a power amp (which is usually not flat), or to simply adjust the spectrum after the distortion - in addition to the cab impulse.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
Glad that you like it!
cheers for that , thanks for the tips and advice
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 10-18-2016, 04:08 PM

Have been trying the demo and sad to say I'm not falling in love with what I can get out of it. I say that because I already have Izotope Trash and Amplitube 3 & 4 as well as Indent. There's nothing here I can't do with what I already have and do it just as well. Something that also drives me nuts is not knowing from the lists what each choice of say eq is based on. I mean having something that says this is based off a Fender Twin Reverb, Ampeg B15, etc. would be great.

I have most else of what Blue Cat does but this plugin leaves me less than enthused.

QAPLA!