Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2016, 09:29 AM

Default Re: New studio rack

Made another rack for an engineer friend of mine. This time I added Drawers and filler panels. The rack rail runs top to bottom - so if more space is needed, a drawer (or both) can be removed, exposing more rack rail.

The case and drawer fronts are solid cherry. The drawer boxes are maple.

The second picture is of the drawer front, which was quite tricky since the front of the case is angled backwards.

Only metal is in the rack rail and drawer hardware. Other than that, glue and wood!

Comments welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-07 07.43.32.jpg (38.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (93.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Made another rack for an engineer friend of mine. This time I added Drawers and filler panels. The rack rail runs top to bottom - so if more space is needed, a drawer (or both) can be removed, exposing more rack rail.

The case and drawer fronts are solid cherry. The drawer boxes are maple.

The second picture is of the drawer front, which was quite tricky since the front of the case is angled backwards.

Only metal is in the rack rail and drawer hardware. Other than that, glue and wood!

Comments welcomed.
Looks good and I'm confused - is the whole rack front angled backwards or just the drawer fronts?

QAPLA!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM

The whole front of the rack.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The whole front of the rack.
Thanks - that was quick. Wish I had the tools and skill to do that kind of work. All I have is an old table saw, couple of drills and some hand tools. Anything beyond square cuts and I'm struggling.

QAPLA!
Old 07-10-2016, 03:43 PM

Just takes time, Jack. I've been into woodworking for longer than I've been into recording :)

Angles are still tough for me to wrap my head around sometimes. The tricky part with the drawers was that the drawer boxes themselves were vertical. The fronts had to be angled and also sit flush against the rack rail. A friend who is both a musician and a woodworker came up with the idea to do the angled rabbet (the groove on the edges) to butt up against the rack rail.

Here's a couple more pictures showing how it works.

Oh, and the drawers are removable to make room for more gear should he get any :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-06-25 15.34.32.jpg (63.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-06-26 13.32.58.jpg (27.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I'm a woodworker as well as a musician. I decided to combine the hobbies and I built myself a new rack for my home studio. I plan to add some drawers to the unused space at the bottom. It's made out all solid cherry, finished with satin polyurethane (general finishes brand).

If anyone wants more details on the woodworking aspect let me know.

Curious what everyone thinks.

Thanks.
Did you use a Dado Blade on your table saw to make those end cuts?

Did you use the dow to secure the ends, or did you screw and use the dow to cover the screw?

Looks great!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I kind of doubt that, especially with edge joints like you have. For laminations I could see glue alone but not for an edge joint with heavy equipment in it. Give me cleats on the inside corners along with glue and screws and I'm happy. Now if you're talking mortise and tenon joints or dovetail joints with glue then that I can get behind no problem. Learned a heck of a lot from my grandfather and father who were really good carpenters.
Sorry, but no, wood glue is the strongest way to join two pieces of wood together when done correctly.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-10-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Did you use a Dado Blade on your table saw to make those end cuts?

Did you use the dow to secure the ends, or did you screw and use the dow to cover the screw?

Looks great!

Hey Barry -

Yes, sir. Dado blade used to make all the rabbets and dados.

The top is secured to the sides only by dowels and glue. The only screws on this project are to install the drawer slides and the rack rail.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Sorry, but no, wood glue is the strongest way to join two pieces of wood together when done correctly.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 PM

If anyone is interested, I put together an album on facebook and documented how I built this.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1e62278edd