Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools too complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Track View Post
Hello there!
My interest in the world of audio processing has grown out of my wish to record my music. My problem is, I am 100% inexperienced in everything related to music recording, editing, equalizing etc.
Avid to record my stuff, I bought an Avid Fast Track Duo interface. As I unpacked the product, I found a Pro Tools Express software ready to be activated and downloaded. I immediately proceeded to download it on my Mac OS X.
For the last few days, I've been trying to get started with Pro Tools, only to find out that it has been designed for audio engineers, not a dumb like me. I've been watching a lot of youtube tutorials on Pro Tools, and I keep reading everything I can find about the subject. Waste of time. It's way too difficult for me.
I'm giving up on the Pro Tools and am now looking for a much simpler and lighter software, equipped with a very simple recording and equalizing system - something that could just enable me to use my Fast Track Duo, no matter how much quality will be sacrificed.
Can you guys be so kind as to recommend a software that fits this description?
Thanks a lot.
I couldnt think of anything more complicated and frustrating than to start of green and move straight onto Pro tools .

For me it was a slow graduation from tape 4 track recorders up to the first digital recorders like Roland VS880 and so on . Im glad too that I had those as with the old tape 4 track there was no bells and whistles to distract you , and as time went by your recording techniques improved with it, Later , the roland VS workstations gave you a lot more to play with , but visually you got hardly anything to go by , so you were then forced to rely only on your ears ..., again a good learning experience .

These days ..........,

Even now , as a new pro tools user myself .., if im not constantly using pro tools , im having to re -remember / re -learn certain steps and commands of something I was doing with ease a few weeks ago (usually little things) , which I never had to do before with my other DAWs due to their ease of use , and therefore I could just concentrate more on the music creation ...,

When Im working on ideas for new songs etc , I will use my Zoom H4n as a scratchpad to simply push rec/play to capture ideas on the fly , and it has 4 tracks easy to use ,and a built in stereo mic also .

Only after my ideas are feeling solid will I begin to record that song into protools , because the minute I stop to think "how do I do that again " , then my creative idea I had in the first place gets lost

but Pro-tools can give you much, much more on the editing side of things (if you persevere) than my easy old daws ever could .

Reading manuals just makes me dizzy , you tube videos helps a lot , but are never complete enough .

What I found most useful was to watch the Mac Pro Video Series on Pro Tools , or even Lydia series of pro Tools videos ..., these cover complete topics from start to finish , and I found this the easiest way to remember , I suggest you check them out If you decide to continue on with Pro Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Groove 3 has some pretty good videos too. I prefer hands on myself. You know, oh oo.... Won't do that again😊
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM

You should try reaper - that seems really weird and difficult to use - I was mainly using it to host vst's but it doesn't seem user friendly at all
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 AM

I agree totally with you on that YYR123. I have most programs but that one. Well, let's say it just sits there. Way to much crap to figure out.

📀
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Hey Slow Track! I'll bet you haven't read all these helpful replies to your post. Well, neither have I. You sound a lot like me when I first signed up on the forum minus the mental impairment. If audio is all your interested in, forget midi, you don't have to use it. Pro Tools can be your ticket to learning audio recording from the ground up. Take it slow, one step at a time. Watch as many You tube training videos as is necessary. You'll find some are a waste of time but others are quite informative. Search other forums. Read books. Ask questions! There are no dumb questions! It all comes down to how bad you want it. If your lazy, find another hobby! The Pro Tools manuals can be helpful but a bit on the complicated side from my point of view. I'm by no means a Pro Tools pro and I'm sure some here on the DUC consider me still a beginner. Point is, I've turned the corner and suddenly it's FUN!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 AM

you are right it is a little learning curve.I like your idea of using the Zoom but if you don't use PT's more you will forget what you have learned.It's only when you keep using it day after day do the command become second nature to you.Don't worry, we will help you.Those videos seem the easy way for me but I have to watch them over and over till I get to memorize them
Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Track View Post
My interest in the world of audio processing has grown out of my wish to record my music. My problem is, I am 100% inexperienced in everything related to music recording, editing, equalizing etc.
To most, learning to play music in the beginning is a daunting prospect. Indeed even having played an instrument for 35 years, at times I still get daunted when trying to learn a new piece of music. But after practising it for awhile it becomes second nature. Pro Tools is no different IMHO.

If the passion is there, you'll be driven to learn and like anything worthwhile in life, it doesn't come easy.

As others have said, tweak everything and anything and listen to the difference in sound. Whilst the likes of you tube is great, remember it's your ears that are the most important thing in this game, not your eyes.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
but I have to watch them over and over till I get to memorize them

When I started in 07 Phil was making all those DiGi design videos - I used to watch them over and over to try to remember what he did
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
I like your idea of using the Zoom
I got one of those Zoom H4's and find PT easier to use. Too many little tiny screens and difficult navigation.