Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 PM

Default export list of music clips for cuesheet

I am trying to find a way to export a list of music clips so that a cuesheet can be assembled. Any ideas? workflow, software? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Default Re: export list of music clips for cuesheet

I haven't come up with anything....

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 PM

Couldn't you start by having a session that was only the music clips, then exporting as text?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:07 PM

In 12 (and later, I assume) you doubt even have to make a different session, you can export selected tracks as text. Whether this works depends on how you do things like faces in and out--I often leave long handles in the music tracks and do the fades with a fader, which affects the in and out points significantly enough that it's easier for me to just do the queue sheet timing manually. Fortunately, the midday supervisor will often do the cure sheet of you give them a QuickTime of the finished mix with a timecode window burn.

sent from a stupid phone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 PM

Create a dup track of your clip/cue placements against picture.
On the dup track, do strip silence (watch how the edits trim as you adjust the threshold)
Commit that for the dup track
Do an export session data for both timecode and mins:sec (two exports) for selected tracks and only select the dup track. You'll need both to do a proper RapidCue cue sheet (the current standard)

When you get the text files, import into a spreadsheet.
At this point, it depends on your spreadsheet abilities. I can be done with a properly formatted one in 20 mins but if you aren't familiar with how to import text to a spreadsheet for your spreadsheet program of choice, it'll take longer to learn (that includes how to split to columns, how to ignore spurious data, and how to set columns to the right data types and trim off extra spaces, etc.)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 AM

To the original poster my PG PT Session software (I think I'll get people on this forum to suggest names for my software, I don't have the imagination for that!) may do what you need. You'd need to explain in more depth what you're trying to do.

And to Scout, thanks, I didn't know about RapidCue, I've just downloaded the spec, will try and incorporate it.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 AM

thanks for all the suggestions I'll try some tomorrow. i'm trying to export a list of music used in a show for my client to build a cue sheet. clip name and timecodes for length are what they want. I only know time intensive ways to do this looking for simplest way
Old 11-10-2018, 04:26 AM

I do this all the time. Select the tracks that contain music only. Then choose Export as Text. In preferences choose only selected tracks and combine fades.

The only thing that I don´t like is that it will export results for both legs of a stereo file, thus duplicating each stereo track.

Then open in a spread sheet or other suitable program if you need to "polish" the presentation, add your company logo etc.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 11-10-2018, 04:27 AM

Yeah, my software should do that well enough, it's what it was written for originally before adding all the ADR stuff - which looks a bit scary, I need to hide it for music use but you can ignore most of it!

Pete
Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
The only thing that I don´t like is that it will export results for both legs of a stereo file, thus duplicating each stereo track.

Split your tracks into mono. Delete, hide, or just select L or R side, and export session as text. Works every time.