Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 PM

Default Playlist soloing still lacking

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2543906&postcount=14

Whenever I revisit an old issue, I forget that duc has separate subforums for each version, so bumping is useless. Anyway:

1) It'd be efficient if moving the edit cursor up and down playlists automatically solo'd them in turn. In lieu of that...

2) There's an annoying, inexplicable discrepancy between mouse and keyboard behavior when soloing playlists. When a track is solo'd, clicking on a playlist's solo button maintains the track's solo status. But shift-S (and I assume most users prefer shortcuts over mousing around) with the edit cursor on a playlist lane disables the track's solo. Shift-S in a playlist lane, or perhaps a secondary shortcut like ctrl-shift-S, should maintain the track's solo status.

A couple other grievances

3) I'm disappointed that there's no shortcut for cycling thru playlists. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) You have to make a selection first, and then cycle. That's cool and useful, but it'd be nice to skip the selection part in some cases.

4) The "-" shortcut collapses playlists, but it'd be nice to have a shortcut to enter playlist view.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Playlist soloing still lacking

Regarding #3: as long as your cursor is on the track, you can use Shift+Down Arrow (or Up) to cycle through playlists right? I'm not in front of my machine but I believe that works.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 PM

playlist soloing is the there
... and its been there for years
RTM
Old 11-09-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
playlist soloing is the there
... and its been there for years
RTM
Never said it wasn't.
RTOP
Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Shift-S playlist lane soloing works as it should in latch mode, but it should also work like that in X-OR mode. What's the point of soloing a playlist lane if it unsolos the track and then you can't hear it? I feel Avid must know this, since clicking on a playlist lane solo button in X-OR mode makes it work as in latch mode.

I.e., playlist lane soloing should always maintain the track solo status, regardless of X-OR or Latch mode, and regardless of clicking or using shift-S.

Meantime, is there a mod key for switching between latch and X-OR mode on the fly?
Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 PM

you might be able to toggle the X-Or / latch behavior using OSX keyboard shortcuts. Goto your computer settings/keyboard and setup a command for Protools app.

I usually just solo-lock the main track that I'm comping (when the solo button is greyed out and always engaged, I forget what that's called). that way solo behavior works as you want it to while soloing playlists.

it is redundant BUT please be careful what you wish for around here knowing the lack of updates- if you can work around it comfortably, I would do that instead. Avid may break the behavior you're used to and never fix it again. (ie the slip/grid toggle stupidity they implemented with command key while you're in slip mode!! still slows me down daily... this was definitely implemented wrong and done by someone who does not edit for a living...)