Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 PM

Default Trying to use DIGI 002 for streaming...

Hello, I run a stream on Beam.Pro and have noticed that my nice mic, when using the DIGI 002, is only showing up on the left channel.

I know this is due to only being able to use a single input, but is there a way to switch and input between mono and stereo? The Windows Audio settings and any streaming software I use does not support this.

Please help, I am forced to use my facecam's mic for now which is extremely inferior to my Audio Technica condenser.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Trying to use DIGI 002 for streaming...

You have a mono source, so mono input. However, if you're going through Pro Tools and then out to where ever, you can change the mono output to stereo with a mono/stereo plug-in. Then disable the plug-in so the audio isn't affected.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-10-2016, 08:38 PM

Most folks here won't have any idea what BeamPro is. Does it provide an audio mixer? Able to sum/mix multiple audio sources? If so then it will have a way of mixing that moni mic you need a stereo input. If not, and it only expects a pre-mixed stereo input then you need to provide a stereo mixed down signal. If you want signal out of FireWire you need software that can do this. The limited stand alone mixer capability in the 002 console won't mix down to firewire digital outputs, but you may be able to get away with a DAW that does that and then drives BeamPro input via sound garden or similar audio routing tools. That may not work well if the computer is already taxed doing video encoding/uploading. You may be better off with a simple digital live mixer that provides the stereo mix down on FireWire or USB outputs.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 AM
zolko

1. Use Y mic cord and connect it into two 002 channels. Y = XLR female to 2 XLR male.

2. Get another Audio Technica condenser and connect it to second 002 input.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Most folks here won't have any idea what BeamPro is. Does it provide an audio mixer? Able to sum/mix multiple audio sources?
It is just a streaming website, has no audio mixer.

Quote:
If not, and it only expects a pre-mixed stereo input then you need to provide a stereo mixed down signal.
Do you know of any freeware (or something inexpensive) that can mix it down? I was hoping there was something I was missing on the hardware or driver software to do this, and using Pro Tools is out of the question because A. I lost my discs, B. it's an old version anyway, C. I'm using Windows 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
You have a mono source, so mono input. However, if you're going through Pro Tools and then out to where ever, you can change the mono output to stereo with a mono/stereo plug-in. Then disable the plug-in so the audio isn't affected.
Mentioned before, Pro Tools is out of the question (Using Windows 10, and can't run a full-blown DAW while playing an intensive video game), are there any freeware or inexpensive programs you know of that can both input and output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolko View Post
1. Use Y mic cord and connect it into two 002 channels. Y = XLR female to 2 XLR male.

2. Get another Audio Technica condenser and connect it to second 002 input.
Are there any downsides to getting a Y cord? Two Mics is overkill for video game streaming, haha.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 AM
zolko

Yes, there are some downsides using Y cord to get mono signal for your purpose:

1. You have to get Y cord :)
2. You have to connect it to 2 inputs (something may go wrong x2)
3. You have to set gain exactly the same on two preamps to get dual mono with the same level.
4. You will never get EXACTLY the same signal on L and R cause you use two analog preamps.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19 PM

I would ditch the big old heavy 002 and get a small live mixer with digital main output, much more suitable for what you are doing. Like this one.... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AG03 But the world is full of choices there.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM

I'm not overly familiar with game streaming, but is there even a need for an external audio interface for this? Couldn't you just connect a mic to your onboard sound card? I (possibly erroneously) thought most just used a headset mic combo for this.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I would ditch the big old heavy 002 and get a small live mixer with digital main output, much more suitable for what you are doing. Like this one.... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AG03 But the world is full of choices there.
My problem is I already have the 002 and can't afford to get more hardware. I spent good money on this thing back when I was working in a studio and don't want it to go to waste.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
I'm not overly familiar with game streaming, but is there even a need for an external audio interface for this? Couldn't you just connect a mic to your onboard sound card? I (possibly erroneously) thought most just used a headset mic combo for this.

Joel
Most streamers actually buy seperate interfaces. Motherboard DSP's aren't very good quality, and can't output phantom power for a nice condenser mic.