Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 02-16-2021, 01:39 PM

Default Recording audio intro through interface for podcast

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner podcaster and I am doing it with 2 other mates. We are running an M-Audio interface and Pro tools first version 20.

My question is how can I use audio for an intro in to the podcast?

I can import a track into the podcast post recording, but what I really want to do is have it recording/playing live through the interface and into the headphones so we can fade it out and then obviously start the podcast.

Any suggestions would be great. Cheers
Old 02-25-2021, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Recording audio intro through interface for podcast

Moving to Pro Tools First.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-25-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrothers View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a beginner podcaster and I am doing it with 2 other mates. We are running an M-Audio interface and Pro tools first version 20.

My question is how can I use audio for an intro in to the podcast?

I can import a track into the podcast post recording, but what I really want to do is have it recording/playing live through the interface and into the headphones so we can fade it out and then obviously start the podcast.

Any suggestions would be great. Cheers
This is a pretty basic question, and it's important that you you just play more with Pro Tools. But start by finding some tutorials online, especially on YouTube, and start simple. The main reason for doing that is you'll quickly run into the next question, then next ten questions and get super frustrated. Good tutorials will work you though and help you actually get stuff done.

With a podcast (that by definition I take as being pre-recorded) you are just adding the intro content, likely on another audio track. You can literally drag and drop that audio into a Pro Tools session (or oops project in the case of First) and slide stuff around to where you want. That's really a trivial exercise in Pro Tools.

Even if you are steaming live you can do that by playing i.e. "monitoring" through Pro Tools out to your live output. Play the intro and then record the live session by having arming the audio tracks being fed by each individual participants microphones. Or if you are doing stuff live there may be reasons not to use Pro Tools or any other DAW (e.g. digital recorders may be more reliable/easier to use).

But I'll say I am not a fan of Pro Tools First. Especially because it relies on unreliable Avid cloud projects/storage. If you need to track and mix audio music Pro Tools (standard not First) is often a great choice. If you just need to assemble and edit podcasts many other DAWs can do this and I would use over Pro Tools First... including Adobe Audition which has a niche in professional radio and maybe podcast markets. If you have folks with an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription they will already have access to Audition.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-26-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Hi Darryl,

Thank you very much for your response. I'll follow your advice.

Cheers