Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-30-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Questions on NI Komplete Kontrol

Yesterday I decided to take advantage of the free download offered by NI for their Komplete Start package which includes things like Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt free 6, and several instruments, loops, samples, etc. A nice freebie to say the least. I've had Kontakt Free for some time, but hardly ever used it.

So, I got it all installed and then followed the instructions for using Komplete Kontrol. When you open it in standalone mode, it scans absolutely everything...all my VSTs, including my older 32bit ones, which I scarcely even use any more. That took forever. Which leads to question #1: Is there a way to tell Komplete Kontrol to only scan certain things? If so, I can't find it anywhere in the program and there's no option on boot up to limit it either. I don't need or want it to scan everything, just what I want it use.

The second question is that when I host in Pro Tools, I have [rul=https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/]all the instruments available that come with Komplete Kontrol[/url]. However, it appears that Komplete Kontrol is not multi-timbral. Again, am I missing something?

When I load up Kontakt Free 6 on a PT Instrument track, I only have some of the instruments available, and not all of the ones that came with Komplete Kontrol. I had assumed that they would all load into Kontakt Free. Again, I can't see any way to tell Free to load them up.

So, if there's any kind soul here that is familiar with all this NI stuff and can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I read all the start up info on the NI website for the Komplete Kontrol, as well as several other videos on YouTube, as well as the Kontakt Free Explained on Groove 3. But none of them seemed to address any of these issues, and the manual doesn't seem to offer much help either.

Clearly I've missed some things, but I don't know where.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Questions on NI Komplete Kontrol

Hey Donald, I have questions also. I want to move my NI librarys to a different hard drive. Want to know if that is ok with Komplete Kontrol. I will try that and then I will try and find a way to load the sample,s in. Will let you know.
2009,2012 8 Core Mac 5.1, (32 gigs Ram), MSI Radeon 570,s 2011,17 MacBookPros , 828MKIII Hybrid , 8Pre, OSX Mojave 14.6,High Sierra 13.6, DP11, MachV3, PT2023.6 , Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11,Cubase Elements 11,Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5.5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM

I've tried Komplete Kontrol in the past and found it nothing special for the way I work as it just added another layer I don't need. I know what instrument I need and where to find it. I don't need s/w to do that for me.

As far as moving libraries I'd suspect it's the same as moving libraries for Kontakt - you just tell the program where to look.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:03 PM

Well, I think I finally was able to figure most of it out as far as what goes where. Its not the most intuitive of plugins, that's for sure! What I didn't realize is that Reaktor is another host program, with a lot more to it. Apparently some of the VI's that came with the Komplete Start package are hosted in Reaktor, but not in Kontakt. A rather complicated set-up, if you ask me.

However, some of the VI's are certainly nice with some great sounding patches. Now that I get the basic layout it'll be easier figuring out what all the various VI's do and how they work. The most complicated seems to be Newscool, which employs some kind of secret algorithm to create rhythms and sequences. Not sure how much I'll want to get into all that!

There does seem to be quite a few VI's for both Reaktor and Kontakt out there, though. Some are free, and some aren't. I like the ones from Output Sounds, especially Exhale, which seems to have some rather unique patches based on vocals. Might have to give that look see.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, I think I finally was able to figure most of it out as far as what goes where. Its not the most intuitive of plugins, that's for sure! What I didn't realize is that Reaktor is another host program, with a lot more to it. Apparently some of the VI's that came with the Komplete Start package are hosted in Reaktor, but not in Kontakt. A rather complicated set-up, if you ask me.

However, some of the VI's are certainly nice with some great sounding patches. Now that I get the basic layout it'll be easier figuring out what all the various VI's do and how they work. The most complicated seems to be Newscool, which employs some kind of secret algorithm to create rhythms and sequences. Not sure how much I'll want to get into all that!

There does seem to be quite a few VI's for both Reaktor and Kontakt out there, though. Some are free, and some aren't. I like the ones from Output Sounds, especially Exhale, which seems to have some rather unique patches based on vocals. Might have to give that look see.
Technically speaking Reaktor is not a host. It's a plugin in which instruments and effects are built using it's internal building blocks. It really gets down to what I would call the molecular level. Think of it as building a synthesizer out of individual capacitors, resistors and ic's. You can't edit the internals of something like Newscool in Reaktor Player which is the freebie but you can in the full Reaktor. I have the full Reaktor and have opened some things and it's amazing what's going on behind the front panel gui. You can even build your own stuff if you have the temerity to do so.

Do pay attention though to third party libraries/sounds for Kontakt as some require the full Kontakt and won't work with the free Kontakt. There's also a user community that puts up free ensembles for Reaktor that's hosted by NI.

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM

I would update scan Kontrol, Kontakt, Machine, Reaktor all in standalone at least once after install.

For changing locations, use Native Access.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacci View Post
Hey Donald, I have questions also. I want to move my NI librarys to a different hard drive. Want to know if that is ok with Komplete Kontrol. I will try that and then I will try and find a way to load the sample,s in. Will let you know.

If I am not mistaken, you will have to go into Native Access and re-point the individual virtual instruments to the their folders on the new hard drive, then you should be good to go.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
If I am not mistaken, you will have to go into Native Access and re-point the individual virtual instruments to the their folders on the new hard drive, then you should be good to go.
I've never gone into Native Access to tell a vi where to look for it's samples. I just go direct to the vi like Kontakt. Then again I don't use Komplete Kontrol; as I said earlier I tried it and it slowed me down.

QAPLA!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Technically speaking Reaktor is not a host. It's a plugin in which instruments and effects are built using it's internal building blocks. It really gets down to what I would call the molecular level. Think of it as building a synthesizer out of individual capacitors, resistors and ic's. You can't edit the internals of something like Newscool in Reaktor Player which is the freebie but you can in the full Reaktor. I have the full Reaktor and have opened some things and it's amazing what's going on behind the front panel gui. You can even build your own stuff if you have the temerity to do so.

Do pay attention though to third party libraries/sounds for Kontakt as some require the full Kontakt and won't work with the free Kontakt. There's also a user community that puts up free ensembles for Reaktor that's hosted by NI.

right. I was using the word "host" very loosely. I have seen that there are a number of free VI's out there for Reaktor, as well as Kontakt player. Yeah, I know that some VI's are full Kontakt only, such as all the 8dio libraries. But, there are many others, such as Output Sounds, that will work in Kontakt player. On the other hand, its not like I need MORE VI's...My gosh, if all my VI's were hardware synths, my studio would look like the synth room at Sweetwater!