Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 01:05 AM

Default locating audio files

like a moron, ive never kept track of where my audio files go within my pro tools sessions. so rather then have all my audio files for each sessions in its folder, they are spread out all over my hard drive. ive decided that this is just stupid, and im trying to organize everything now, and attempt to keep it that way. my problem is some audio files are simply named "audio 2" in my session. however, there like 300 "audio 2" files on my computer, named "audio 2-01" "audio 2-02", etc. is there any way i can easily locate the files in my sessions so i can move them into their own folder?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:37 AM

Default Re: locating audio files

The 1st step is to 'select all unused' from the audio files list in the session, then choose 'clear selected', then choose 'remove'. This will give you the most basic session. (files still may be pulled from all over the place)

Then, Use the "Save Sesion Copy as". In that dialogue you MUST choose "Copy all files". That will create a new folder with a new session and an audio files folder containing every audio file needed for that song.

Do this with each song

Once you open the the new sessions, play them, make sure everything is fine, you can go back and start cleaning up the mess.

Hope this helps

PS. It's a great habit to get into to name each track as soon as it's created. It will help somewhere down the line. Even if it's nonsensce the name will be more unique and easy to find when things get messy.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:00 AM

Quote:
by VillageGreen
PS. It's a great habit to get into to name each track as soon as it's created.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you create the track, record something, then name the track, is there anyway to make it automatically name the audio files acoordingly...
of do you have to name the track before any recording is done for the audio files to be named??

so many times i forget to name the track right away, or i juts make tracks and not really sure whats going to be on them yet...
Old 12-06-2002, 01:18 AM

MetalTim,
You need to double-click with the hand grabber on a region to rename it. Have "rename Disk File" checked as well.

Major Thom,
Just a quick idea to throw out there. If you click at the top of the region bin, you can select "Show full pathnames". Now you can see wehre all of your regions in the region bin actually reside.

Each of your sessions should have a main folder with an audio files folder. I'm not sure how you ended up with things all over the place, but you can just drag any stray files into the session's Audio Files folder. When launching a session, if you get asked, "Where is file XXXX?" (you shouldn't, but just in case) just point it to that Audio files folder, and it'll find the rest in there.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Have "rename Disk File" checked as well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok, for some reason some audio regions can be renamed with the option of "rename disk file" and some can't. i dont really understand why this is. any help?
Old 12-08-2002, 12:21 AM

bump