Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Performance difference between Native and HDX

I currently have ProTools HD 10.2 with a Native card and an Omni and HD unit. I have had good luck and performance. Recently I have been running enough tracks, with Rtas plug-ins, sends, and automation that I am running up against the Native CPU limit.

What I am curious for those who have switched from native to HDX.

Are there any additional pro tools functions (non plug-in DSP) that are processed through the HDX card that are not processed as part of the Native card such that a person would see an improvement going to HDX from Native?

PC: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit / ASUS P6X58-E WS / Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz / 24GB RAM MEM [4GBx3 CRUCIAL_CT3KIT51272BA1339 ECC Non-Buffered; 2 kits] / Gigabyte nVidia GTX 470 1280MB / 128GB M4 SSD System Drive / 128GB M4 SSD active session drive / 1 OCZ 60GB SSD Page file / multiple HDD for storage
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Performance difference between Native and HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADIrouting View Post
I currently have ProTools HD 10.2 with a Native card and an Omni and HD unit. I have had good luck and performance. Recently I have been running enough tracks, with Rtas plug-ins, sends, and automation that I am running up against the Native CPU limit.

What I am curious for those who have switched from native to HDX.

Are there any additional pro tools functions (non plug-in DSP) that are processed through the HDX card that are not processed as part of the Native card such that a person would see an improvement going to HDX from Native?

PC: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit / ASUS P6X58-E WS / Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz / 24GB RAM MEM [4GBx3 CRUCIAL_CT3KIT51272BA1339 ECC Non-Buffered; 2 kits] / Gigabyte nVidia GTX 470 1280MB / 128GB M4 SSD System Drive / 128GB M4 SSD active session drive / 1 OCZ 60GB SSD Page file / multiple HDD for storage
tons
Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:

The mix engine, surround engine, voices, HEAT, ADC and DSP plug-ins all use the chips on the card. The mix engine and ADC don't even use 1% of the CPU in native, so you wont see any improvement there at all. You'll see the most noticeable improvement when using plug-ins. Run as many DSP plug-ins as you can in HDX first, and offload to native only if you start running out of DSP power. If you track through plug-ins, use DSP plug-ins so you don't have to worry about buffer settings when using native plug-ins. If you start to run out of DSP for tracking, then offload some of your previously recorded finished tracks to native by using the DSP to Native button in the plug-in window. Save the DSP for tracking. Though possible, it's best to avoid mixing DSP and Native plug-ins on the same track. Keep them separate and try to use DSP only.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The mix engine, surround engine, HEAT, ADC and DSP plug-ins all use the chips on the card. The mix engine and ADC don't even use 1% of the CPU in native, so you wont see any improvement there at all. You'll see the most noticeable improvement when using plug-ins.

Hope that helps.

Shane
Hi Shane,
Yes, that answers my question at a high level.

My situation, I am mixing and I have some plug-ins which consume significant CPU (Native). My limited understanding is that the CPU (Native) is a measure of the most difficult "task" within the session. It is also an indicator for when I am "maxing" out my session as the system errors out and/or the playback performance is poor.

In my case, changing the # of cores or CPU % Utilization doesn't improve this "task" performance or lower the CPU (Native bar). What appears is that the combination of "# or cores" and CPU% utilization can improve, what I'd would call, the reliability of the system from error'ing out. I watch the little "peak" meter on the CPU (Native) meter vs the primary CPU bar to find a sweet spot where this "peak" doesn't jump back and forth a lot between the max and the current CPU (Native) bar.

In the back of my mind I was hoping to understand if HDX would take some of the processing from within this worst case "task" and thus reduce the CPU (Native) level.

Based on what you're saying, that is less than likely.

Thank you!
Jay
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM

the only thing the dsp doesnt do is rtas plug ins... it handles all of the playback, record, track builds, aux sends, ect... that can be alot for ur computer to handle and the DSP handles it all beautifully... leaving ur computer for just rtas some screen movements i think and things like reason for example
Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
the only thing the dsp doesnt do is rtas plug ins... it handles all of the playback, record, track builds, aux sends, ect... that can be alot for ur computer to handle and the DSP handles it all beautifully... leaving ur computer for just rtas some screen movements i think and things like reason for example
Thank you for the response, this is helping to understand what is part of the picture. I am thinking then it is as simple as turning off all my RTAS Plug-ins and determining then the remaining level of CPU usage. If I were then to guess, the remaining CPU (Native), like Shane mentioned, maybe pretty insignificant with respect to my systems capabilities. I'll post back what I can quantify.

I think your point is also, dependent on the complexity of the session the improvement in performance could be significant especially with respect to their systems capabilities.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 PM

I wonder if a new i7/X79 mobo setup would net an improvement? I have read that the XEON cpu doesn't do nearly as well. Comments?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I wonder if a new i7/X79 mobo setup would net an improvement? I have read that the XEON cpu doesn't do nearly as well. Comments?
I am curious, what have you read that makes the XEON cpu's do less well. Could you share.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I am thinking then it is as simple as turning off all my RTAS Plug-ins and determining then the remaining level of CPU usage. If I were then to guess, the remaining CPU (Native), like Shane mentioned, maybe pretty insignificant with respect to my systems capabilities.
You are correct. Unlike DSP, even having every track created and voice used with full ADC enabled will not put a dent into your CPU usage at all. Your test will clearly show this. If you need any tests/benchmarks/screen shots etc in the HDX realm, then let me know and I'll be glad to post. Hopefully it will help with your purchase decision.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I am curious, what have you read that makes the XEON cpu's do less well. Could you share.
Not all the threads get used. They've been problematic. ECC memory will also give you a hit in performance.

Shane