Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
If that's true then the best bet would be they sell Pro Tools off to someone who actually cares. If only I had the money!

P.S. Great article! That's exactly the kind of passion that I love to see from someone at the top of a company!
Now you've got it!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
If that's true then the best bet would be they sell Pro Tools off to someone who actually cares. If only I had the money!

P.S. Great article! That's exactly the kind of passion that I love to see from someone at the top of a company!

I enjoy the armchair quarterback mentality we can get in around hear about Pro Tools and Avid.

I believe we all have the money to buy Avid. In concept, it is a free market,..... The real question and issue is do we have a plan that an investor could look at and believe in, as well as believe in us as competent leaders to execute that plan, and what would provide them the return on their investment vs something else. I know we all understand these concepts, there is NO righteousness in my note.

However the topic is near and dear....

My biased hope.....I hope UAD would develop a tape recorder type DSP system that integrates with their Console and then syncs with a DAW. That is why I have an HDX system right now, (and a number of Apollo Units).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Unfortunately the biggest area for growth right now is video where it has become a lot like the growth of computer audio during the '90s. I don't think you can blame Avid for focusing a lot of energy in that area.

The thing almost everybody still misses is that HDX is a lot more of a high-end product than TDM was or UA is. Avid-only plug-ins aren't going to be nearly as profitable as those for AAX, VST and Audio Units. Porting old plug-ins to HDX is an expensive proposition few developers have been willing to take on. In the area of new plug-ins, Plug-in Alliance is doing a great deal much like what they do for UA.

I also think people overlook the Avid Pro plug-ins. Just today the Pro Limiter beat DMG's limitless in my shootout for isp limiting transparency on a project

The first modeled plug-ins ever were the Avid Focusrite Red eq. and compressor. They stand up to almost anything else twenty years later. If you want the saturation they lack, ReelTape and HEAT will give it to you along with SansAmp or some of the new guitar pedal effects for extreme saturation. Plug-in Alliance also has wonderful HDX saturation effects and that's not to mention the Sonnox Dynamics and inflator or the Dave Hill stuff.

Seriously, there are probably more HDX plug-ins today than there were TDM when HDX first came out. There just isn't the native $99 plug-in of the month.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 PM

Steven Slate should buy Avid.

I can see it now..."Pro Tools 13 COMING SOON!"

No...seriously, Steve...do it.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Unfortunately the biggest area for growth right now is video where it has become a lot like the growth of computer audio during the '90s. I don't think you can blame Avid for focusing a lot of energy in that area.

The thing almost everybody still misses is that HDX is a lot more of a high-end product than TDM was or UA is. Avid-only plug-ins aren't going to be nearly as profitable as those for AAX, VST and Audio Units. Porting old plug-ins to HDX is an expensive proposition few developers have been willing to take on. In the area of new plug-ins, Plug-in Alliance is doing a great deal much like what they do for UA.

I also think people overlook the Avid Pro plug-ins. Just today the Pro Limiter beat DMG's limitless in my shootout for isp limiting transparency on a project

The first modeled plug-ins ever were the Avid Focusrite Red eq. and compressor. They stand up to almost anything else twenty years later. If you want the saturation they lack, ReelTape and HEAT will give it to you along with SansAmp or some of the new guitar pedal effects for extreme saturation. Plug-in Alliance also has wonderful HDX saturation effects and that's not to mention the Sonnox Dynamics and inflator or the Dave Hill stuff.

Seriously, there are probably more HDX plug-ins today than there were TDM when HDX first came out. There just isn't the native $99 plug-in of the month.
I am in complete agreement with you that there are definitely LOT of FANTASTIC AAX DSP plugins and yes Avid, McDSP, Plugin Alliance, and some others all provide absolutely top shelf plugins! I love my HDX system! I am just giving suggestions on some things that might bring even more users and developers into the fold (and provide even more for customers to spend money on).
Old 03-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Steven Slate should buy Avid.

I can see it now..."Pro Tools 13 COMING SOON!"

No...seriously, Steve...do it.
I'm not sure; first I doubt he has the cash for that. Second, he does really seem to care, and he has moments where he is very personable and genuinely funny; but he also tends to put off this used car salesman vibe as times that seems disingenuous to me. I think it's mostly that he has a tendency to oversell. But no doubt he has effectively come out of nowhere to create what seems like a very successful company.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 AM

Avid's biggest mistake, in regards to music professionals, was being out of touch with was/is used daily in making records with their TDM rigs. Like it or not, tracking/printing autotune on the way in was huge on TDM and has only gotten more prevalent since HDX's release. Avid still has not made an Autotune clone AAX-DSP plugin to date and music facilities have been reluctant to give up their TDM rigs. It's not even a price thing. It's a, "I can't do my job and service my clients without these tools" thing. There are other plugins that fall into that category and Avid either ignored us or were so out of touch they just didn't know. HDX finally got a DSP character delay after all these years with McDSP EC300. Too little too late. That plugin should have been here on HDX's release.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
music facilities have been reluctant to give up their TDM rigs
I know, I have three :) the problem is, macs capable of running these are becoming old
Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM

The R&D for a whole line of HDX products was already done but then never expanded. Take OMNI, HDX cards and the AVID I/O and make a family. 8 i/o with 1/2 an HDX card inside, 8X8 with a full HDX1,2 and 3. 16X16 etc... add a standalone HDX box series that connects via TB, or USB3 or Ethernet. Price all these from $2K to whatever. That would have been real competition to UA...

The suite of AAX-DSP is OK but autotune, waves and some others were huge losses. They needed a mitigation plan at release to handle this. It seems so possible that a TDM to AAX-DSP bridge on the HDX card could have been made or maybe even make a special TDM card/box for HDX.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 AM

The market for audio production gear melted down in 2008 and hasn't really come back. I suspect Avid decided they needed to get out of as much hardware manufacturing as they could even though it meant scrapping R&D for unreleased products and selling M-Audio at a huge loss. In addition, most third-party plug-in developers had been devastated by piracy around the same time.

The timing for HDX could not have been worse and this really couldn't have been anticipated.