Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Avid Support plan renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
STABILITY IS THE KEY. Sticking with 12.5. 2or maybe 12.6.1 after I get my Mac Pro Trash Can back from Apple. Never seem to have issues with DP or Ableton, or even Logic Pro like I have had lately. A new experience for me. Usually very stable. All started with Sierra update for me. 3 reinstalls with that OS. Not sure what happened. Also 3 reinstalls with 12.6.1 and 12.5.2. Definitely won't go any higher for a while. G

Had to test at 2 days at AppleStore with Apple/Cupertino on the phone chatting with them on testing. The verdict was that there was no failures of any kind.
However the final test after reinstalling the OS was that there was that there was some sort of network legacy failure that was causing all my problems with the launching of the Mac. The wiping of the Internal HD did the trick and of course they ran the testing again overnight to make sure.
This in IMHO was a direct result of just the update from Yosemite to Sierra and for some reason my Mac Pro Trash Can did not like that. It has all been resolved as far as I can see, but have a day or two of installations to to at least. Oh well it's a great way to spend the New Years Eve I guess. LOL.

Regards, G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Guys, just don't extend your HD plan.
I didn't.
It doesn't make sense.
They're not going to reinvent the wheel.
You will be fine with 12.6 HD or 12.7 HD for many years. The longer you stay, the more money you'll save. And because of $999 reinstatement fee, most of us who decided to take a break will wait longer anyway. Guess who's loss it is.
I agree! Just don't give them anymore of your money. I got out out at 12.5. It's insane!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 PM

You know I am about to start using my PTHD11 license that I've owned since it came out. I remained in PTHD10 since I was on TDM and had a Pro Control. I recently purchased a 24 Channel D-Command that now opens up version beyond PTHD 10 for me. I ordered a used HDN PCIe card today from Alto for $629, and plan to start using HD11. I already own the Vanilla version of PT12 as I also have an education version because we homeschool our kids. I've never spent more than 10 minutes with 12 since it came out.

My hope is that Avid will eventually become desperate for cash, make a really compelling deal to get folks like me who never got on the HD extortion plan. If today, they had a deal for $399 for lapsed HD users, plus $200 a year support after that, I'd get current right now.

If that does not happen, and I believe at some point they will do something along those lines as they simply need revenue, then I'll happily remain on PTHD11, I mean, I've stayed with PTHD10 all this time, I doubt it would be an issue staying with PTHD 11. There are only a couple of niceties that are in 12 that are not in 11, but to me they are just that, niceties, not necessities.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 AM

It has been said for HD users it is a 'business expense'....
Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM

"..HD..'business expense'...." So is Vanilla. (Still servicing HD-TDM systems) Justified High Cost as Biz Expense is bad biz if all is working!

"HD extortion plan. ..." A grand (Minimum) to get back in?????

"... If today, they had a deal for $399 for lapsed HD users, plus $200 a year support after that, I'd get current right now."
Old 12-30-2016, 10:08 AM

The corporate customers who are Avid's largest sources of revenue actually prefer to rent everything. They can write it all off without speculating on depreciation and easily increase or decrease their number of systems to match varying requirements. They are also free to switch platforms at far less expense. Renting HD is just about the same price as buying and upgrading it until you get five years out.

That obviously isn't most of us on the DUC but it's important to understand where Avid is coming from in all of this.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The corporate customers who are Avid's largest sources of revenue actually prefer to rent everything. They can write it all off without speculating on depreciation and easily increase or decrease their number of systems to match varying requirements. They are also free to switch platforms at far less expense. Renting HD is just about the same price as buying and upgrading it until you get five years out.

That obviously isn't most of us on the DUC but it's important to understand where Avid is coming from in all of this.
Should we then suppose that the gains on the corporate side have offset any "adjustments" on the single user side?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Yes after so little being added or addressed in the past year I too have let my "plan" lapse. 12.7 seems stable enough to get off the train for a while. I will reconsider in at least 3 years, or if by sudden miracle the price to reinstate becomes reasonable and/or should the support plan be split from the update plan. I do not feel that as an HD user I got $600 (or $400 for that matter) worth of value for the past year. Voting with my feet, as it were.

Oh I also work for a corporate customer. Here at Sony PlayStation we are all still using 11.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:25 AM

You can already renew for less than $500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-Annual-...kAAOSw44BYY-Y6
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Should we then suppose that the gains on the corporate side have offset any "adjustments" on the single user side?
I think corporate side sales are pretty saturated but Avid can't afford any losses and rental exposes them to a great deal more competition on that side than ever before. While music has way more potential for growth, that can't be at the expanse of their day job which has always been post production and broadcast.

Digidesign created a lot of opportunity for individual musicians but they were forced to sell because more than half of their income was from OEM audio hardware sales to Avid. Their biggest area of financial success by far has always been post production even though the largest number of users are individual musicians.