Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
As a side note, the originator of the sticky usually puts in quit a few years of updating and maintaining the sticky. It's a lot of work just for that alone. Even when you retire from it, it still goes on as people hunt you down via email.

Shane
Already have a sticky, I know what it's like.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
It has come to my attention that there are a number of us here running a Hackintosh of some variation successfully with Pro Tools....

So, why not have a thread celebrating our successful builds, and helping out those who are interested in making their own?

Before we get started, we'll go over a few ground rules:

Since we don't want any heat, nor to break the TOS of this forum, I would like to reiterate that any discussion of illegal acquisition of software is prohibited. OSX costs $30, and is quite readily available through the AppStore and in stores as a pre-compiled USB key for around $60. Buy OSX, be legit.

Let's also remember that these builds are not officially qualified by Apple or Avid, so anything you do is at your own risk. We are here to to help each other with successful setups, but don't expect Avid to chime in if you're having trouble.
Hello. You do realize it's 100% illegal for you to install OSX on a computer that is not an Apple computer right? Do you remember that company in Florida (Psystar) that was selling these but they had to shut down because it was illegal? It went all the way to the Supreme Court which upheld that it was in fact, illegal to install OSX on a computer that is not sold by Apple.

What you are doing is illegal. That is why it has 'Hack' in the name. It is not sanctioned by Apple. It is illegal. You are breaking the law. The fact that you so openly do this on a public forum is a sign of the times I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar_Corporation
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 AM

AFAIK the problem with the Florida company was that they hacked the OS, and therefore only bought one copy of OSX, which they were then installing on multiple computers.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 AM

Hello. No the problem was and is that they installed Apple's OS on a computer that was not made and sold by Apple. It is against Apple's End User License to do that. Read it in case you are not aware.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Legal or not, it's just not worth the hassle/time for the professional.

Not a single studio I know does it (or runs windows for that matter)

And with the recent price drop, it's simply a no-brainier.
Just buy a Mac Pro.

kasper
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 AM

Hello. Well Kasper but the BIG, BIG, BIG problem is that it's illegal. You make it sound like if it wasn't a hassle then it would be OK to do something that is illegal. Like downloading movies or music for free. It's 100% illegal and it's wrong to do. That's a big problem whether it's a hassle or not.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
Hello. No the problem was and is that they installed Apple's OS on a computer that was not made and sold by Apple. It is against Apple's End User License to do that. Read it in case you are not aware.
No. No. No. No. No, and no.

NO.

Please stop spreading misinformation, and instead maybe read the f**king license agreement for yourself.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htm

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx105.pdf

NOWHERE in this license agreement does it expressly say, imply or infer that it is illegal to install the software on a non-Mac computer. You will, of course, suspend any support or warranty... but it is not illegal. If this were the case... then you could be arrested for using your OSX install on more than one computer at the same time, ever. You think Apple's going to come knocking because you have Lion installed on two computers?

You will not be arrested, you will not be charged, you will not be fined, you will not be sued.

It IS illegal for someone to install OSX on non-Mac systems and then sell them as their own systems. This represents property right infringement, etc.

Please, please, please stop with this fear mongering and do some reading of your own.

D

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Hello. Well Kasper but the BIG, BIG, BIG problem is that it's illegal. You make it sound like if it wasn't a hassle then it would be OK to do something that is illegal. Like downloading movies or music for free. It's 100% illegal and it's wrong to do. That's a big problem whether it's a hassle or not.
No.

I don't "make it sound" like anything. You infer what you wish.

The legality of any EULA in regards to software is still up for debate.

kasper
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Hello. No this is incorrect. It is written out and specified that the software con only be installed on an 'Apple-labeled' computer.

"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time"

That means it is illegal to install it on a NON Apple labeled computer. Sorry. It's illegal.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Hello. No this is incorrect. It is written out and specified that the software con only be installed on an 'Apple-labeled' computer.

"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time"

That means it is illegal to install it on a NON Apple labeled computer. Sorry. It's illegal.
No, dude. I'm sorry. You're wrong.

They don't want you to do it... and they have the right to remove your License of the software... they can make it a pain in the ass to do it... but it is not illegal.

I don't know what illegal means to you, but illegal means you are breaking laws and can be fined, sued, arrested, etc. That will never happen if you make yourself a Hackintosh. Just like you can't be arrested for Jailbreaking an iPhone. Apple would love it, if it were possible... but it isn't. Apple already tried lobbying for it, and the supreme court threw it out as rubbish.

Please, get over it.

D