Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-25-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Will Pro Tools 10 work with mac OS Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

1. A seperate drive or partition and install 10 (or 7.3 would probably do it. if its just the audio files you want then consolidate each track as single audio files starting from the top beat 1 bar 1 etc and export the audio files as wav.) depending on the original session 7.3 might not be a good option if you want to convert the session and keep the mix settings etc.
2. uninstalling its relatively simple but as mentioned above use a seperate drive or partition.
3. installing or cloning to an external drive works fine. i do it occasionally. it will be a bit slower depending on the drive and whether its USB 2 3 etc. but would work fine for converting a session.
4. yes 7.3 will be able to export audio as SD2 and might well work converting the entire session but its a long way back to 7.3 and a lots changed and the mix might not convert well.

External drive, Lion, PT10 and convert your session. keep PT10 for any future jobs that might need similar.

Chris
Hi,

Are you suggesting that I simply install PT10 on a separate drive or partition alone, without also installing an older OS along with it?

In one of your previous post you said "Dual boot always if you need to have 10 running". I think I may be confused as to what you mean be "dual boot".

Oh, and I don't need to export as SDII files. I need to save the sessions that have SDII files as sessions with BWF files so that I can work on them on the new system.

If Daryl Ramm is around, he could probably jump in on this, too.

Thanks,

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 01-25-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Hi,

Are you suggesting that I simply install PT10 on a separate drive or partition alone, without also installing an older OS along with it?

In one of your previous post you said "Dual boot always if you need to have 10 running". I think I may be confused as to what you mean be "dual boot".

Oh, and I don't need to export as SDII files. I need to save the sessions that have SDII files as sessions with BWF files so that I can work on them on the new system.

If Daryl Ramm is around, he could probably jump in on this, too.

Thanks,

MD
You're going to need to install an early OSX version on that partition.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:10 PM

I would pick a stable OS X release (e.g. I would avoid El Crapitan) that support all the software and plugins you need and install that. You can do so on another bootable drive or shrink your existing boot partition and create a new one on the boot drive... if you need this for business/work you really want to go that way not try to reply on unsupported stuff, that we know has some problems.

Be super careful and make image backups/clones before doing brain surgery on your drives. And be careful of common mistakes like say overwriting your current boot drive recovery partition with an old version one.

If your current boot partition is High Sierra on a SSD then its likely APFS and so not readable when your old version of OS X is booted, which may be an inconvenience. You might want to force High Sierra to install on a HFS+ partition (you can find out how to do that by searching online).

If your boot disks are not all SSD now is the time to fix that as well, ideally PCIe SSD.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I would pick a stable OS X release (e.g. I would avoid El Crapitan) that support all the software and plugins you need and install that. You can do so on another bootable drive or shrink your existing boot partition and create a new one on the boot drive... if you need this for business/work you really want to go that way not try to reply on unsupported stuff, that we know has some problems.

Be super careful and make image backups/clones before doing brain surgery on your drives. And be careful of common mistakes like say overwriting your current boot drive recovery partition with an old version one.

If your current boot partition is High Sierra on a SSD then its likely APFS and so not readable when your old version of OS X is booted, which may be an inconvenience. You might want to force High Sierra to install on a HFS+ partition (you can find out how to do that by searching online).

If your boot disks are not all SSD now is the time to fix that as well, ideally PCIe SSD.

Thanks for responding, Daryl.

The computer is a 2017 MacBook Pro, 3.1gHz, fully blown out. The internal / boot drive is 2TB PCIe SSD, running High Sierra, upgraded from Sierra [which is what was initially on the drive]. I have a ton of room on the drive.

I am using Time Machine to continuously backup the drive.

1. First, I need some clarification on one of your statements above. I think it may be a typo. Please advise.

You said "you really want to go that way not try to reply on unsupported stuff, that we know has some problems." Is the word "reply" a typo?

2. Next, if I understand you correctly, you are advising against partitioning the boot drive and simply installing PT10 alone on one of the partitions, without also installing an older Mac OS on that partition. Is that correct?

I ask because I have had a number of people suggest simply installing PT10 right alongside PT12, on the boot drive [either in a separate partition or not]. They say that it will work well enough to just do the conversions, if that is all I need it to do. Your thoughts?

My concern with installing an older Mac OS than what came with the MacBook Pro on the new partition is that I have heard [and read from Apple] that booting with an older Mac OS than what shipped with the computer can cause some sort of chaos. Yet many people seem to be advising that. Can you address this issue?

I just want to be sure that I am understanding you properly. I am researching this myself apart from the forum, but have been coming up with some vague and / or contradictory info. on the misinformation highway. :)

Thanks again for helping.

MD
Old 01-25-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Will Pro Tools 10 work with mac OS Sierra

So either a Late 2016 or Mid 2017 MBP... so the earliest macOS version that will run in them is Sierra, which does not support Pro Tools 10.

To be clear here I was saying you should find space to add another boot partition or add another drive and install a supported OS to run Pro Tools 10 on that new partition. But I was assuming you had a compatible system. You don’t. The time to worry about this is before buying hardware. If you need to rely on stuff for work I would not be trying to mess with Pro Tools 10 on High Sierra. Find some other way to do this, another studio, buy an old Mac just for Pro Tools 10, etc.

BTW Time machine is a poor choice for system level backups for reasons many of us have discussed before, and you should not be having anything continuously back up a working DAW system. You should be making system level image backups using Carbon Copy Cloner or similar and if also backing content/media up using Time Machine then do that on a schedule when the computer is not being used.

uh well you are screwed since you cannot install an one supported OS X version in such a current MBP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Ha ha, never screwed, Daryl. You know that. ):

BTW, I haven't been using Time Machine "continuously", in that sense. Not while using Pro Tools, obviously.

Thanks for the response.

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 01-25-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 PM

I'll bump the stuff below from my previous post, so Chris may be able to respond.

I am considering simply installing PT10 alongside PT12, even though my OS is way too current, just because a few people have been saying it will work well enough to do the conversion.

I want to make sure that is what Chris is suggesting.

Chris, have you tried this?

Thanks,

MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

1. A seperate drive or partition and install 10 (or 7.3 would probably do it. if its just the audio files you want then consolidate each track as single audio files starting from the top beat 1 bar 1 etc and export the audio files as wav.) depending on the original session 7.3 might not be a good option if you want to convert the session and keep the mix settings etc.
2. uninstalling its relatively simple but as mentioned above use a seperate drive or partition.
3. installing or cloning to an external drive works fine. i do it occasionally. it will be a bit slower depending on the drive and whether its USB 2 3 etc. but would work fine for converting a session.
4. yes 7.3 will be able to export audio as SD2 and might well work converting the entire session but its a long way back to 7.3 and a lots changed and the mix might not convert well.

External drive, Lion, PT10 and convert your session. keep PT10 for any future jobs that might need similar.

Chris
Hi,

Thanks,

MD