Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Default How can i get a PT 8 Printed manual???

I just got my box copy of PT 8 and low and behold i get no printed manual with it. I was totally unaware of this because I dont frequent these forums often. I got the box copy just to have a printed manual. I read them in my spare time when im away from my studio.
I think this is just insane. This is rather complex software and i dont want to sit at my computer and read 800 pages of material. I like reading in my spare time. I have used about 4 different versions of Pro tools and I have always received a manual.
This is a big deal to me so how can I get a copy of a PT 8 manual, or do they even make a printed version? Please dont write and tell me to print it from the pdf. I guess I will in a last case scenario.
Sorry to rant.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 AM

Default Re: How can i get a PT 8 Printed manual???

I've downloaded two separate copies of PT8 starting on day one. Each time I saw a message clarifying that there's no printed manual with the hard copy of PT8. So they make it clear there, BUT you probably ordered through a dealer, who wouldn't likely mention the issue about the manual. I respect Digi's attempt to save paper, but I strongly agree that there's no substitute for a hard copy of such a deep manual.

Download a copy and print it out. That's what I did.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:23 AM

Yeah as I said I bought it from a dealer who told me it would have a manual, and I can see from many other posts many people were told the box would have a manual, so someone somewhere at Digi must have told dealers the box would have a manual, or all the dealers have no clue. I just cant print 800 pages from my printer, the ink alone would cost a fortune so if there is one actually available for sale through digi i would love to buy one. Once again this is just plain wrong to not have a manual on this kind of software. Especially for HD users who have vested tons of cash into digi. I must have spent well over 20 k on all my digi stuff , software, controllers , interfaces etc. Digi Get on this and get me and your other loyal customers a real manual.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH View Post
Yeah as I said I bought it from a dealer who told me it would have a manual, and I can see from many other posts many people were told the box would have a manual, so someone somewhere at Digi must have told dealers the box would have a manual, or all the dealers have no clue. I just cant print 800 pages from my printer, the ink alone would cost a fortune so if there is one actually available for sale through digi i would love to buy one. Once again this is just plain wrong to not have a manual on this kind of software. Especially for HD users who have vested tons of cash into digi. I must have spent well over 20 k on all my digi stuff , software, controllers , interfaces etc. Digi Get on this and get me and your other loyal customers a real manual.
TDM/HD has always shipped with a manual. This time its not this is probably due to time constraints as much as any desire to save a tree. This is probably a case of the dealer being confused or Digi not letting them know far enough in advance. Digi did make it pretty clear on the DUC that was no printed manual at this time around. There won't even be installer disks until some time in January. I do the same thing as you...read the manual in my spare time. As a LE owner I have to buy mine in the Digistore. Soon as 8.0's sets are ready I will get one. It usually takes a month or so from the actual launch date before they show up in the Digi store though.

It's probably not what you want to hear but printing up a section at a time for some of the deeper new features would allow you to dig in a bit without wasting a ton of paper or money until the actual printed manuals are available. From what I gather at the moment they (the manual) simply don't exist.

Now whether the price of the HD 8.0 upgrade automatically includes the cost of a printed manual as it has in the past is entirely up to Digi. I can understand why most folks would assume that it would come with one though.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Yeah even if they just up charged my box that would be fine, I just simply need a manual. Seriously I would have never bought a box copy if I knew it had no manual. My fault for not doing deeper research. I just usually believe what my store tells me because I have bought tons of stuff through them. I would have waited to see if there were any issues bugs etc, and bought it 5 months down the road.
On a sold note most people seem to say its working like a charm. I cant install mine until christmas eve because our studio is booked solid and christmas eve and day are the only break we have. IO hope i dont lose tons of plug ins because I will also be going from tiger to leopard.
Even that small upgrade came with a manual hahah
Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
There won't even be installer disks until some time in January.
If there are no installer disks and no manual, what the heck's in the box?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Guy Andy View Post
If there are no installer disks and no manual, what the heck's in the box?
Like many boxes these days! they are full of fresh air

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Mine has an installer disc and a whats new manual. The whats new does me no good because I didnt have 7.4 to begin with so i am still in the dark as far as the new stuff like elastic audio etc. I need to know whats new since 7.2
Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM

I am sure they will offer it at their store as they do for 7.4 for 34.95 soon..
Old 12-21-2008, 02:05 PM

DigiTechSupt: As with previous manuals, we should have a printed version of Pro Tools 8 Reference Guide available from the Digistore sometime in the near future.

I'm with most posters here.
Full manual was the reason I pre-ordered a boxed copy.

Kinko's is another option...
I 'm thinking of getting a full color copy printed.