Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2003, 12:26 AM

Default Re: anyone interested in an editing competition thing?

Hey HI Ho! Way to go...I'm in the flow with the edit idea. Once you learn how to really cut and move; you'll surely learn to mix that good stuff. So, let it flow...great idea for the DUC. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2003, 02:14 AM

I have to agree with Calvin, i've been following the thread and still don't really get how the competition works?

My take on editing, is that it's used sparingly to either:

a) fix a technical mistake
b) fix a musical mistake
c) fix an arrangement that isn't quite working
d) compiling a master take from individual takes
e) experiement with different arrangements

Is the plan to provide a completely badly recorded set of tracks and have individuals try and make something that sounds decent?

I can't see how it would be that educational to see someone's edits as without the context of WHY you chose to edit something a bunch of regions and crossfades aren't that exciting.

A mixing competition makes more sense because it is an individual's interpretation of common source material, and I assume will incorporate some editing.

In my opinion 'editing' isn't really a seperate task, editing can and may take place during either tracking or mixing, or in a worst case scenario mastering.

Just my 2 cents

Marcus
Old 05-18-2003, 02:59 AM

I used to say "Hey man, don't worry, I'll fix that riff which you ****ed up" but nowadays I say "That sucked, try again". Sometimes I would switch on a metronome and let them play a certain riff over and over again until they got it right, usually starting at a slower speed. And the record it. Only when we're working on a riff for more the half an hour I start thinking about fixing it with edits... Man, I hate it when people come in your studio and they can't play their own music. It happens a lot!!!

What I am trying to say is that you should use editing only when the right way (really playing that riff!) just doesn't work!

The only edits I really do are fixing badly timed punches (hey, I make mistakes too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and mutes in guitartracks and vocals (I don't use noisegates on guitars and vocals. Edits are cleaner.).
Old 05-18-2003, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
Ok, umm hate to admit it here but I am confused as to just what exactly you are going to be judging. I mean, editing is just one of those things that you can spend hours and hours of doing just to get a track on time, and then once your there you realise you have edited any sort of life out of the track.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Okay, bascially the way the competition works, is that you mail me the deed to your house, and when I am done JUDGING you I will determine if you are fit to be a homeowner....

Okay, but seriously, it's not really a competition. And whether or not you really approve of editing or not, I think we would all agree it's a skill we will all need if we have any designs on doing this for a living, or even having projects available to us.

I thought I'd play some **imperfect*** tracks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] that people could edit, we could all see how we did. My bass playing isn't anything to write home about, I'll play a hand drum part, which will probably require the most editing, and I'll play a guitar part or two. It's just to see what different people come up with and how it sounds.

I'd actually prefer if a drummer would play and post the session, because editing drums is (as far as I understand) one of the most common and in demand applications of PT.

Let me know what you all think.

bp
Old 05-18-2003, 06:00 AM

Yesterday I tortured two singers over 10 hours long. Letting them repeat agaoin and again, because I don´t like editing.

Don´t forget to always first check its disk allocation before starting to work with a session that has been on another system before.
A friend of mine got his system messed up and even needed to reformat disks.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:49 AM

I was under the impression that this competition was baout mixing as well. That would be more interesting/educational imho.