Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2001, 02:21 PM

Default God Bless America

I know it may sound corny, but I'm just so shaken up about today's terrorist attacks I wanted to start kind of an unusual thread here. We discuss a lot of things on this board that seem incredibly insignifcant by comparison.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those affected today. Now let's make some great music, and try to lift some spirits!

Take care,

Glenn
Old 09-11-2001, 06:07 PM

Default Re: God Bless America

When I heard W's speech this morning and he said (paraphrasing, I don't remember the exact words) 'God bless the victims of this tragedy, and god bless America', I had to think, "what about the rest of the world? I'm not religious and don't really care about such things, but couldn't he have said "all of us" or "humanity" or something like that? It struck me as very nationalistic. In this day & age we must see ourselves as citizens not of just our country, but of the world, as we now know that all our problems and therefore all our solutions are interrelated on a global scale.
(818) 549-0622
Old 09-11-2001, 07:59 PM

As the head of the United States, I think it was W's perogative to direct his reassurances to America directly, though there would have been no bad reactions to an address to humanity. I was saddened and very depressed when I watched the buildings fall. I got scared when I saw our congress stand together and sing "God Bless America" I fear that we may be at war.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:40 AM

As I said on another thread,

The facts that I can't afford a ProControl, I never have enough RAM or DSP power, and I wonder if the Rams will go to the SuperBowl don't seem to be as imporatant as they were Yesterday.

I don't believe Bush was being insensitive to the world, just caring about our country.
But I get your point.
I just hope we don't pick on the semantics of our leaders. Let's just pray for the people who have been touched (everyone) and the people who are responsible. They need Jesus and they need to be responsible for what they've done.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:03 AM

I don't think it's entirely inappropriate to sound "nationalistic" in a time when our country is under attack. We're being attacked because of what our country stands for -- that's a national issue whether you like it or not.

My point, though, was that some of the greatest music ever written came out of hard times -- the Depression, WWII, and, lest we forget, Vietnam. At this point, I for one feel a responsibility to (as I said in my original post) lift some spirits.

If you're scared of our going to war, I understand that. We all should be scared. But I'm much more afraid of our doing nothing!

Glenn
Old 09-12-2001, 09:21 AM

If there was ever a time to be nationalistic and to unquestioningly stand behind our leader, President Bush, now is the time!

Let's not quibble over a word here and there, but unite as Americans against those who have our demise as their utmost goal. This is war, and until peace is declared, the rest of the world should take a back seat to our concerns. We can't help others until we first help ourselves. By defending the very things that make the USA great, we will also be defending the other peoples around the world with like ideals.

Furthermore, being concerned over political correctness is part of what got us into this mess. Let's not let it lead us blindly down the road to becoming some pathetic inert ex-world power!

I'll sing "God Bless America" and be proud of it!
Old 09-12-2001, 09:36 AM
Administrator

We at Digidesign respectfully request that this bulletin board is not used for expressing individual ideals and beliefs. This is true at any time, but especially regarding this tragedy, where feelings understandably run so high.

We are grieving, and would prefer not to have the added burden of political discussions and the inevitable escalations involving such highly emotional issues.

Thanks,
Web Admin
Old 09-12-2001, 05:47 PM

I was going to respond again but shall respectfully abstain.
(818) 549-0622
Old 09-13-2001, 12:19 AM

Yeah, heaven forbid anybody should say "God Bless America" on the DUC.

Come on!

Glenn
Old 09-13-2001, 12:39 AM

Uh Oh Glen, you said the nasty "G" word. At least you did'nt say the "J" word like I did. I got repremanded.

Sorry Digi.

I wasn't trying to cause ill feelings and tromp on someone elses religious beliefs. I was simply expressing mine. I won't let it happen again. I'll just stick to the subject.