Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Default Headphone output problem on macbook pro BOOTCAMP windows XP Protools 10

Hello helpful friends. I hope I am not posting in the wrong section.
I just bought a Macbook pro. I installed Windows 7 64 bit on bootcamp partition.
I installed pro tools 10. I just noticed that when trying to listen and play back anything while using headphones which are plugged into the Macbook's native headphone jack while I am using protools 10, no sound will play through the headphones. I will still hear sound playing back through the laptop speakers, but no luck with the headphones.
I have also tried to play with the control panel sound settings, but it seems like I can not have any luck.
I do however seem to have success with using the headphones in other applications such as reason and cubase, just not with Pro Tools.
I know some of you might want to tell me to just use pro tools on the mac partition, but there are some plugins and applications that I would like to use on the windows side of things.

If you have any advice or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
Pro Tools: 10
Processor: Intel i7-3770K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Ram: 16GB
Graphics: Sapphire HD 7850
System 2
Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.4, Intel i7 2.2 Ghz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, PT 10.2
Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Headphone output problem on macbook pro BOOTCAMP windows XP Protools 10

Hey,

I just need a little clarification... You said "I dont hear anything from the headphones but the speakers are still working"

So you are saying that you can play pro tools without the headphones plugged in and the laptop speakers work fine... but when you plug into the headphones the laptop speakers still play and nothing is in your headphones?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Headphone output problem on macbook pro BOOTCAMP windows XP Protools 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Hey,

I just need a little clarification... You said "I dont hear anything from the headphones but the speakers are still working"

So you are saying that you can play pro tools without the headphones plugged in and the laptop speakers work fine... but when you plug into the headphones the laptop speakers still play and nothing is in your headphones?
Yes sir, that is precisely what I mean. Any ideas on this issue? I mean, bootcamp is great, but this seems to be the only issue I have had yet.
System 2
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Unhappy Re: Headphone output problem on macbook pro BOOTCAMP windows XP Protools 10

Hey dude, i have exactly the same problem... any luck?!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM

bump? Anyone?
System 2
Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 PM

this seems to work, though earlier it seemed to only work once and need re doing with a restart if you pull your headphones out. Like I said, it is just working like normal this time though.

1) plug your headphones into the normal socket hole. 2) Open sound from control panel. (I just start typing sound on Cortana or when I've opened the start menu up) 3) Right click on the 'headphones' tab thing 4)click on 'set as default device'

You will then hear from your headphones or speakers (I use it for both).