Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Do I need the DV Toolkit for sound editing?

Hello there.

I'm working on PT LE 6.4 on a Digi 002.

A sound editing gig for a short film has been offered to me, and I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to the DV Toolkit for this? I don't plan on doing a lot of sound jobs, but you never know. Can I import audio and give the mixing place all they need on an LE system?

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Do I need the DV Toolkit for sound editing?

Do you mean import sounds from the video editing program so you get the cuts and timecode the video editor made? If yess you at least need Digitranslator to import OMFs.

You don't really need DV toolkit to import omf. Dv toolkit just unlocks the time code featers in protools ruler and display bars.( and the possibility to send timecode MTC true the midi ports ). If ya buy DVtoolkit ya get also Digitranslator and some other plugins too.

Hope this cleared it out ;-)
Cheers
Bossi
Old 05-05-2005, 05:46 PM

Like Bossi said, it depends on whether the video editor will give you audio as OMF files. If so, you need DigiTranslator. You can do without if you get full length audio files (the length of the project) with a two pop at the start.

I have edited and mixed a few amateur independent movies without DV Toolkit (mostly shorts) using nothing but a QuickTime video file and a production audio track, both with a two pop. It certainly is less than ideal, but workable. I added all my SFX and when I was done mixing, I did a stereo bounce (or stereo stems) with the same two pop at the beginning to give back to the video editor.

Watch out, though. Pro Tools LE does not have automatic delay compensation and the more plug-ins you add the more you delay your audio. It usually doesn't add up to a huge amount, but it's there. Add up the delay incurred on each track and nudge back that number of samples.

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 AM

Thanks, guys.

So I can get a two track mix of the cut with an initial sync beep at the '2', then go from there. If dialog work is needed, I can get the original location tracks to search through.

So the only additions you get with DV Toolkit are ability to import OMF (which is also available on DigiTranslator) and feet and frames in the ruler? (you know PTools used to have that a couple of versions ago).

That sound like it should work.

Thanks

-Arthur
Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 AM

DV Toolkit also includes VocAlign, a handy plug-in for matching the timing of any ADR lines to the original guide track or production track. Without it you have more work trying to line up any replacement dialog... time compressing, cutting and nudging individual syllables or words.

Another problem with no having OMF import is that all audio cuts you'll get from the video editor are hard cuts. If s/he cuts in the middle of a line of dialog, that line is cut in half with a hard edit (unless there's some way around this I'm not aware of). That means more 'audio reconstructive surgery' for you to smooth it out. If possible, get some of the uncut audio from the editor so you can patch your cut up production track.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Another problem with no having OMF import is that all audio cuts you'll get from the video editor are hard cuts. If s/he cuts in the middle of a line of dialog, that line is cut in half with a hard edit (unless there's some way around this I'm not aware of). That means more 'audio reconstructive surgery' for you to smooth it out. If possible, get some of the uncut audio from the editor so you can patch your cut up production track.
The workaround method to this is as follows:

1. Have the video editor "checkerboard" his audio. In other words have the first Audio clip on Track 1 of his video program, the second audio clip on Track2, the next one on Track 1 again, and so on. If you have multiple tracks (i.e boom and lav) then first clip on 1 and 2 second on 3 &4 and so on.

2. Now have the editor go in and pull out 1 second on the head and tail of each clip

3. Have the editor export each track as a complete Audio file. Make sure each track has the pop on it.

4. You can now import each track into PTLE and still have the handles and the cut points.

Of course this method takes a lot of time for both the editor, and for you (you have to go in and tweak each of the handles), but it does avoid the hard cut problem. This is one of those cases where you have to decide time vs. money. No money is required for this solution,but a lot of time. Or you can spend money on the DigiTranslator and do it automatically.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 05-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks, that's all really helpful.

-Arthur
Old 05-10-2005, 09:20 AM

For a short in todays more norman workflow (FCP (or AEx) > OMF > DAW > stereo mixdown > FCP) there isn't much need for TC. Vocalign you will find very useful, even if you don't do ADR it is great for pulling an alt take and syncing. Digi Translator is close to a must. DINR isn't great but you will have a lot of use for it, use it gently. And with out the TC features sessions are a bit less transportable and it is quite a bit harder to work with others (if that is necs.
So I would probably get the toolkit because it's a pretty good deal. If you already have DigiTranslator, less good.

"Le" never had TC but before PT version 5 there was only one PT and it limited it self by the hardware you had attached. All in all a vasty better system than the scattered platform of today. Lets see we have Mix systems (TDM) on 6.4.1 or below, HD systems on 5.? - 6.9 (also TDM, but different...), 001 on 6.4 or below Le (I think thats where it toped out?), 002 on 6.? - 6.9 Le, Mpowered PT on some "special" flavor of PT Le, almost for got the "accel" HD.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
For a short in todays more norman workflow
this must be after 1066 and all that!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash