Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Students

In my understanding, the price of Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade from LE was $250, and its Student version was $125, a half of regular price.

For Pro Tools 10 Crossgrade from LE, when I checked last week, the regular price was $500, and the student price was $250, a half of regular price at some shops.

However this morning, it disappeared at some shop, or it went up to $350 at another shop.

It seems that Avid is trying something like eliminating Crossgrade (from LE) for Student with 4-year free upgrade...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM

it does not clearly state that cross graders get it. it does say cross graders get it if they are within the timeframe of october whatever. but it says acedemic, and there are different versions of acedemic, the full version and the crossgrade.

I am just going to wait it out, either way pro tools 9 was a great upgrade for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM

In case this is of interest to anyone - I bought my copy from Media Spec and I emailed them asking if they had info on this, and here is the reply I literally just got back:

"Thank you for your email. I agree, Avid's policy on student pricing and upgrades is rather confusing.

I have been informed by Avid that in order to qualify for the 4 years free updates, you must have registered a 'student' version of Pro Tools 9. In the UK, Avid produced the following versions of Pro Tools 9:

Pro Tools 9 Student
Pro Tools 9 Institutional
Pro Tools 9
Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade Student
Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade Institutional
Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade

Both Pro Tools 9 Student and Pro Tools 9 Crossgrade will qualify for the 4 years free updates. There is one exception to this rule - certain institutions who are part of Avid's education program, and as such, qualify for free updates as they occur. Apparently it might take some weeks until you are notified by Avid of your free update.

I hope this clarifies matters for you."
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Once again as stated on avids website:

Looking to crossgrade to PT 9 Academic? Education institutions, teachers, and college-level students and can crossgrade from previous versions of Pro Tools LE Academic and Pro Tools M-Powered Academic for $125 USD and $175 USD, respectively. College-level students will received 4 years of complimentary upgrades as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

It would really help if DTS or anyone from Avid give us proper guidance and support. Why have some received the upgrade and others not? It's not right.

In years past Digidesign used to give everyone including students a timeframe for receiving uprade emails. Customer Service seems to have changed a bit
Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheone View Post
Once again as stated on avids website:

Looking to crossgrade to PT 9 Academic? Education institutions, teachers, and college-level students and can crossgrade from previous versions of Pro Tools LE Academic and Pro Tools M-Powered Academic for $125 USD and $175 USD, respectively. College-level students will received 4 years of complimentary upgrades as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

Save the entire webpage in your browser. If you have an iPhone or iPad take a picture/snapshot of the webpage.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM

I just heard back from the eastern regional manager of Avid. Turns out they won't give me a free copy of PT 10 even though,

1. I am a student, I bought a student crossgrade version of PT9. He claimed that Avid is not giving 4 years of free upgrades to the crossgrade version.

2. I bought PT9 on 9/28, 3 days before the cut off date. He told me he couldn't do anything and thats my fault for registering the product on the 28th.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do? I really dont want to have to buy another crossgrade.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1rflow View Post
I just heard back from the eastern regional manager of Avid. Turns out they won't give me a free copy of PT 10 even though,

1. I am a student, I bought a student crossgrade version of PT9. He claimed that Avid is not giving 4 years of free upgrades to the crossgrade version.

2. I bought PT9 on 9/28, 3 days before the cut off date. He told me he couldn't do anything and thats my fault for registering the product on the 28th.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do? I really dont want to have to buy another crossgrade.
I think that there is some confusion that they need to sort out. Retailers are also upset about what's going on as they received the same information we did regarding the cross grade and the 4 years of upgrades as stated on avids website and reposted on numerous reputable retailers websites.

I think they'll sort everything out; but save your credit card receipts (you should be able to claim a refund) and keep careful documentation and take pictures/snapshots of web pages as well as saving them.

Sit tight and kindly wait for an official response from avid and call your retailer if you are denied the upgrade.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 PM

It's not your fault seeing as you didn't know they were going to make the announcement. Also, they have stated that crossgraders should get the 4 years upgrades. It's best to try contacting Avid directly, but at the same time they seem to be giving mixed answers.
Part of me says it's best to just wait a few weeks and see if everyone gets their emails, but another part of me says we should make a mass complaint...