Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-29-2001, 10:55 AM

Default external mixer routing

after some confusion about how to route an external mixer to avoid latency, i think i figured it out. unfortunately, it was after i bought a mixer that (i think) doesn't solve the problem. but before i return it, i'd like to make sure i understand the theory. the mixer i got is a lower end behringer (the M802A). the problem is no direct channel outs for each channel and/or no way to monitor recorded tracks without sending them back through the mix and thus re-recording them. has anybody found a way to work around this using this model? i've tried monitoring through the tape ins, but i can't get the new instrument in the mix.

no behringer slams, please; i'm just getting going here. thanks.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:10 AM

Default Re: external mixer routing

by the way, there's nothing to slam Behringher about. I have many friends who own their mixers and some external processors, and they're quite happy with them. I also read a lot of UK magazines, and when they feature an artist like Luke Vibert, Hybrid, or Paul Oakenfold and I read the word Behringer (in multiples) on their studio kit list, you realise that "more affordable" doesn't always equal crap.

Just some thoughts on B.

pk
Old 05-30-2001, 07:05 PM

Yea you really need direct outs. Take a look at the Mackie 1402VLZ pro it has 6 direct outputs perfect for the 6 inputs on the back of the Digibox. I posted this for another user the other day.
I have the Mackie 1402 VLZPRO.
First I would like to say to use Balanced cables as much as possible, but this will not hurt anything if you use unbalanced cables. Keep an ear open for excessive hum or noise would be a side effect in some instances of not using balanced cables.
Heres how to hook up your mackie
1. TO monitor digi through the mackie. Connect a 1/4 cable from the Digibox main outs to mackie tape in(1/4 to rca adapters needed)or any input on the mackie will do I use the tape in to free up all other inputs.
2. To use the Mackie preamps to record into the digibox.
connect 1/4 cables from the channel inserts on the mackie to the line channel inputs on the back of the digibox. Only insert the 1/4 cable to the first click on the mackie ch insert(prefader,preEq). Only the trim and lowcut are active on the mackie. use the trim to adjust the levels. Now the faders on the mackie are used for monitor level only not actual output levels.
Hook up your studio monitors to the Control room outs on the mackie.
hook up your mic or instrument and away you go.
Get a headphone signal splitter (Radio shack $5) so you and the musician can monitor from the mackie board.
The mackie preamps are warmer than the DIGI001. Both are good and quiet.
Now by using the mackie you have no latency issues. You can record at the high buffer setting which you will have to do when you get closer to 24 tracks and alot of plugs.
No big quality differences fom 128 to 1024 that i know of. Some people say 256 is optimum and some say 1024 is.just leave it at 1024 samples and 85%cpu usage this way your computer will work better.

TTRIP
Old 05-31-2001, 11:25 AM

Thanks, this is exactly what i thought. i'm supposed to pick up a mackie from a friend tonight, so this is right on time. am i correct that it's basically impossible for a guitarist, for example, to monitor what he's playing post plug in, while he's playing? a plug in like sans-amp really changes the way you play a given part, so it would be nice to monitor while playing, but it seems like that's a bit too much to ask of one CPU (i.e., playback, record and process a new signal all at the same time).
Old 05-31-2001, 11:35 AM

What's your PC confituration? I am fortunate to have a killer setup, anlong with a digital mixer that gives me use of all 18 ins and outs of the Digi001 simultaneously. I typically use DVerbs on Aux Inputs and EQs and compression on a lot of tracks. VERY VERY RARELY do I have to change the hardware buffer setting from 128 samples. This means I experience no noticeable latency. My most complicated session uses all 24 tracks and about 30 plugins. I get no errors, neither while recording nor while mixing. So the answer lies in the power of your PC.