Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Default Routing Analog Mixer

I have a 24 input analog split console. I have the MOTU 24 I/O interface. I would like to configure my studio so that Pro Tools is used as a multitrack tape recorder (and editor). Thus, for tracking I want 24 tracks in PT, each track taking input from the console (or outboard pres), and playback from PT to go into each separate strip on the console for monitoring.

Then when I mix, I would take the 24 tracks from PT into the tape return inputs on the console and mix on the console.

How do I do this? What is the configuration and routing in PT?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Routing Analog Mixer

kind of depends on the desk

but old school method was to hook the PT rig up in place of the 2" machine the desks group puts normal to PT then PT's outs came back on the MTR returns

In PT the I/O was a simple 1 to 1 (of corse I'm talking >5.1)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Just throwing a thought here, I'm not even sure it could work, but if you have a 48 in by 48 out patch-bay you could take the 24 out of the motu and place it in inputs 25-48 of the patch-bay, and the 1-24 patch-bay input would be your actual source inputs (not going into the console right away), then you'd take the 24 out of the patch-bay and feed your console 1 for 1. This would basically act as if you had 24 splitters feeding your console inputs. When you record, you'd mute all the tracks in pro tools avoiding any feed back, and you'd hear what you're recording from your consoles main out (which could also allow for direct monitoring avoiding latency). When it would be time for mixing you would simply have to un-mute the tracks in pro tools and mix down. You'd have to send back your mix down into pro tools somehow to do the stem.

Now I'm a musician and mixer.. not an artist, but this rough image might help you better understand what I mean.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...signalpath.jpg

Here's a 48 point patch bay. It's not expensive and with a soldering job you could modify it to do what this idea propose.

Or the easiest way would be;

Feed your 24 ins of the motu directly without going through the console and record in pro tools. Once the tracking's done, playback the 24 tracks through the motu's outs feeding your console. I think that to playback the 24 tracks you will have to create 24 mono buss out that you will assign to the 24 outs of the motu box, one for each tracks, which you will feed to your console. You could then take the main out of the console and send them back in to the motu, recording on two new tracks. Bounce the two new tracks down to a new file and voila.

Image here

The pro with this method is you don't have to get a patch-bay and you don't have to fiddle with it to convert it into a mega splitter.

The con you lose zero latency direct monitoring.
Windows 7 ultimate 64 sp1. intel i5 2500k 3.30 ghz. asus p8p67 evo rev 3. 16g kingston ddr3 1600. Asus engtx 560dc2 oc. Seagate Barracuda 7200 9 SATA 80-GB Hard Drive. 2x WD caviar black 7200 500 GB. 1x WD caviar black 7200 1 TB. Seagate Freeagent 7200 1 TB usb 2.0. SIIG NN-440012-S8.

PT 10. SIB 7. ProjectMix I/O. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Focusrite Saffire pro 40. Genelec 8040. Axiom pro 61. Alesis Dm8 pro. Spector ns2000/5. Old vintage Vantage electric guitar. Bunch of VI's and plugins
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the detailed response. I actually do have a hardward patch bay and have routed all 24 inputs into it, as TAPE INPUTS, which go into the MOTU 24 I/O. They in turn go into PT. My outboard pres are normalled into those tape inputs.

Out of PT, the 24 mono tracks go back to the MOTU and I have those 24 outputs going into the tape returns on the mixer.
Holt Remembers - Meetings With The Remarkable

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM

So then your hardware connections are OK. In PT go to setup I/O and define an input and output for each channel. The 24IO should already be selected as your audio driver and all 24 channels should be there.

I have 2xHD192s confiogured this way to a DDR split console. I defined the I/O and created a template of 24 tracks with the in/out predefined...for conveniance I start each new project with that template.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM

So what's the question again?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
So what's the question again?
Clear as mud, eh? Well I actually think I have PT configured now. But when I choose mono i/o for the tracks, the pan pots disappear.

Also I am concerned about getting everything set to unity gain (the MOTU and PT), as it looks like some of the levels are coming in a bit hot, with red peaks in PT and MOTU. Yet, I hear no distortion.

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermusic View Post
Clear as mud, eh? Well I actually think I have PT configured now. But when I choose mono i/o for the tracks, the pan pots disappear.

Also I am concerned about getting everything set to unity gain (the MOTU and PT), as it look like some of the levels are coming in a bit hot, with red peaks in PT and MOTU. Yet, I hear no distortion.
Makes sense. When PT is outputting to a single output there's nothing to pan right?

You'll need to explore Calibration Mode to get the levels right. (EDIT-Just looked and that's for 192s and HD I/Os only)

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Red face Re: Routing Analog Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Makes sense. When PT is outputting to a single output there's nothing to pan right?

You'll need to explore Calibration Mode to get the levels right. (EDIT-Just looked and that's for 192s and HD I/Os only)
+OUTPUT to a single channel... yes of course. Doh, forgot about that. I'm used to outboard strips, where knobs don't disappear.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 PM

I use a analog mixer and own a MOTU 24 I/O for tape transfers. This is all run through a patch bay as described above. Calibrating the console with the PT I/O is very important; once this is done I think you will find this a very acceptable combination.

Just a note: With the MOTU 24 I/O, you will see a little over a millisecond of record latency. Don’t forget to nudge for that after recording overdub tracks.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com