How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Default Latency recording

Running Mac OS X 10.7.5 on an iMac, pro tools 10.3.10

I can start new sessions and run recent sessions and record just fine but I am opening up older sessions recorded in pro tools 8, years ago, and when I go to record I am getting a ton of latency that I can barely keep on time. I have set my playback engine to the lowest buffer size and have unchecked delay compensation in my options menu.
I don’t see anything at the bottom of the tracks in my mix window showing any latency or anything in red, I don’t know what else to try?
(There are quite a bit of plug ins on the tracks but I haven’t had a problem with that with my new sessions)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Latency recording

Exactly how much latency? (# samples) At what sample rate? Hard measurements of latency are almost always useful to clue into what is going on.

Likely you are seeing the "disk" fixed IO buffer of 1024 or 2048 samples (depending on sessions sample rate) from how you have AUX tracks routed. This has been discussed here in the past. The dual IO buffer was implemented in Pro Tools 11 and later. Don't route through aux input tracks.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:11 PM

ive tried recoding at 256, 128 even 64, i seem to get the same amount of latency( i usually mix at 1024)i hope this doesnt sound stupid cuz i know your trying to help but how do i find our how much latency (#samples)
Also how do i not route through input tracks if thats my problem?
Old 12-25-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amscheme View Post
ive tried recoding at 256, 128 even 64, i seem to get the same amount of latency( i usually mix at 1024)i hope this doesnt sound stupid cuz i know your trying to help but how do i find our how much latency (#samples)
Also how do i not route through input tracks if thats my problem?
You put two paths on the same input and clap into a mic or record any other transient sound and measure the difference in samples.

But here you can just create a new empty session and play with routing through AUX tracks to understand the behavior.

A simple example of how not to do stuff is use an AUX to hold a guitar amp sim plugin and then route that to an audio track to record the wet signal. The right way to do that is just stick the plugin on an audio track. Then you are only actually recording the dry track. But so what, that's likely what you want most anyhow... and the modern workflow way of dealing with this would be to freeze or commit that track.

This is only an issue with tracks in the recording/monitoring signal flow. Save aux for other work.

I don't care what *input* IO buffer size you set, that does not affect the fixed *disk* IO buffer which you have no control over. The aux busses behave this way as they are designed to handle playback audio, not part of the low-latency input system.

If something else is going on here then latency numbers will help.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:53 AM

Gotcha I’ll get in There and see what’s going on, thanks