Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 AM

Default Logic front end for PT - couple of questions.

Never really used Logic as a front end for PTHD and believe that you can use TDM plug ins directly from Logic?

But is this the only benefit?

Does recording Audio into Logic, actually go into PTHD when its "engine" is being used?

The only reason i ask is that i have a HD2 and Logic 8 but not many strict;y only TDM plug ins so just wondered if there was another incentive to use PTHD and logic together, instead of just using Logic and rendering everything out and dropping into PTHD?

What are the benefits?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Logic front end for PT - couple of questions.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this setup...basically i have been doing it for the last 5 years or so because:

i write and work faster in Logic than in Protools
I have several secondary computers that I lightpipe into my PT interfaces
Logic is WAY more efficient with software instruments (I run the native side on a 2408mkIII)
I like that when I record a live audio source i don't have to worry about buffer settings/ latency or some extra Cuemix application.

The drawbacks:
Logic takes longer to load, quickpunch often causes system to pause before going into play for me, you can't use RTAS plugs on TDM tracks, Logic has a really funky way of handling stereo DAE tracks (essentially 2 mono tracks that sometimes group successfully, sometimes don't), its pretty buggy if you start to push the limits of the TDM cards (drop outs).

I'm currently fooling with PT 8 to see if abandoning Logic is finally a possibility. I still think for my purposes, a TDM rig is necessary for my workflow. It is essentially my digital mixer. I often put TDM plugs on the input of sounds coming from my gigastudio PC's. If you don't have hardware you need to pipe into the system live and don't record multiple live musicians a lot then I don't see the need to do it this way.

Interested to hear other's thoughts that have done it this way for a while...

-j

just moved to a harpertown 8 core 2.8 from a dual 2.7 G5 days ago.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:00 PM

You also have no delay compensation when using DAE tracks in Logic.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 AM

I used this setup for years, and gradually moved away from it, relying on Pro Tools for most applications, and running Logic as a synth module on a laptop. Logic is very efficient with VIs (and its native plugins), and the PT/Logic connection does work, but something about it felt a bit, well, not-ready-for-primetime.

Logic is a better tool, IMO, for writing music to picture (and developing the electronic/demo portion of a score), but it's not the best tool for handling audio; recording, editing, or mixing. Time allowing, I'll start in Logic and bounce individual tracks to PT for recording and mixing. Time-consuming, but the best of both worlds. Of course, time doesn't always allow...