Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: digi 001 owners - out of luck?

OMG!! the return of lwilliam!! I can't believe it.

Good to see you again, you've been missed.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You sound like a whiner.
Not too harsh.

Just because all the other companies are doing it doesn't mean Digidesign has to do it also. I understand their need to stay current. I also understand how it could be possible to continue software support for the 001.

Saying this isn't done to make people upgrade is a lie. The marketing people always want users to upgrade. Discontinuing software upgrades for the 001 plays into the marketing people's hands.

It's like all the companies are telling users to go jump in a lake and everyone wants to be the first to jump in and drown. Sooner or later people aren't going to want to constanly upgrade knowing everything is made just good enough to last 3 years. Sooner or later it's going to come back to haunt the greedy companies when no one wants to upgrade anymore. A company can't survive on early adopters alone.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:21 PM

I'm surprised Digi cut off the 001 (and Mix) software development during the 6.x versions. You'd think 7.0 would have been the cut-off.

Anyway, I think it should be respected that Digi allows trade-ins. Would Mackie let me trade in my 1604 for an Onyx 1640 so I can have better Mic Pres and Perkins EQ? How about the D8B for a discount on the Digital X-Bus? Perhaps Apple will let people send in their Blueberry iMac for a discount on a new G5 iMac?

Digi is unique in that it offers some level of value back to the customer when enduring an upgrade path.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: digi 001 owners - out of luck?-what abt AMIII?

is there something special that you cant do now with your current
setup that maybe v6.7 can do?

hell, im still using an AMIII card!! and im recording just fine!
or if you are crying that you dont have the latest software version
or cant run it... just let it go and have fun recording with what
you got. Some people drive new cars, some people lust after new
cars, but only drive old cars....

get over it and make music.
hell i cant ever run v6.4!

(although ive contemplated trying to crack the filing system of v6.2.3
and how AMIII cards are recognized to see if it can be patched to v6.4
as recognizable hardware, but alas, im too dumb to figure it out...)

EBC
Old 11-10-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: digi 001 owners - out of luck?-what abt AMIII?

By myfm
Quote:
Sooner or later people aren't going to want to constanly upgrade knowing everything is made just good enough to last 3 years. Sooner or later it's going to come back to haunt the greedy companies when no one wants to upgrade anymore.
Hello. That may sound good in theory, but do you seriously think that could actually happen in real life? How do you suppose you could get millions of people around the world to all agree not to upgrade anything at a particular time?

Sooner or later when? Computers have been a crucial part of most business workflows in all industries worldwide for 10 years or more. In professional audio it has at least been 8 to 10 years. At what point will this happen? 5 years from now? Next year? 30 years from now?

Let's not even go that far. Let's stay with Digidesign and LE software. I'd like to see you try to get all LE users to agree to stop upgrading say from this moment forward. Do you honestly feel that has any bearing on any reality? First off you would have to get all LE users to agree that what you say is right. Many would disagree with you and believe a constant state of upgrades and updates is fair. Business facilities that use LE systems would laugh at the idea of not upgrading.

In short, while the idea may sound OK, in reality it has absolutely no practical foundation.

The reality of the situation is that audio editing and sequencing software is part of the PROFESSIONAL audio industry. Emphasis on professional, as in getting paid to do things. As such, business practices and principles dominate, not hobbyists or weekend warrior needs. If many of those people buy the software that's a cherry on top of the cake, but ultimately it's a product aimed for professional use.

Slim Shady alluded to it. I would be willing to bet if any single one of the people who complain about the 001 being phased out used it on a daily basis to earn their living they would not even blink at the idea of upgrading. It's the way business is done.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:11 PM

I do need the features of 6.7 because I do alot of midi and 6.7 is the midi upgrade. I'd like to do it on a 001 but alas...I'm disappointed that after waiting years for this upgrade, I won't be able to use it.

My point with sooner or later is that eventually it happens. I'm not thinking specifically of Digidesign but the way industry works now. It's a trend in business to have a military style of business and having worked at such a company, it was more than obvious that this too shall pass. It was ridculous how much hiring was going on at that company. People quit left and right because they didn't want someone yelling at them, peering over their shoulder all the time, and mostly the employeer finding the smallest mistake to complain about to the point where nothing was right (you forgot to dot one i, you're fired). I've already seen business move from a "leave em' and smack em'" style to treating employees with respect and now back to leave em' and smack em' (meaning don't say anything to the employees until they make a mistake when the employeer then over zealously reprimands) It's like spam - people have tired of it and want it changed.

There will always be people who want to upgrade especially business which totally gets taken. I sometimes wonder if software is released prematurely to make extra on the upgrades that actually take it to the level it should have been initially released as (the midi features of 6.7 include patch names for the PC, something the competition has always had). It was long rumoured that 32 tracks was possible in the first release of PTLE but Digidesign had the code turned off, only to give it to us later as some sort of big thing. It just seems that eventually people will tire of constantly upgrading, constantly buying new hardware and constantly refamiliarizing themselves with new features. Doesn't there come a point when it's done?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 PM

Im tired of it now
Old 11-11-2004, 07:39 PM

I'm posting just for lwilliam !! Good to 'see' you again! You helped me when I first jumped into this crazy digi world, 'Hope all is well with you!

Tchuess!
L.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:59 PM

Post deleted for violation of DUC Terms of Use regarding illegal software
Old 11-12-2004, 01:49 AM

Thank you! I'm back for an undetermined length of time...

It's nice to be welcomed back by several others as well . I've been busy moderating on a couple of other boards for close to two years now and haven't had much "spare" time for the DUC.

...and yes, there is a 32-track version of PT 5.3 (maybe 5.1.3 or 5.3.1?) - I'm not at my Mac right now. It was only ever released as a "beta" AFAIK. I've been using it for over two years. It's rock solid.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.