Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Roland Studio Capture

I am using ProTools 12 with a Yamaha analog mixer with no problems and am planning to upgrade to a Roland Studio Capture (I have and am using a wide variety of Roland gear and really like their quality). Does anyone have experience using the Studio Capture with PT12?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Roland Studio Capture

With PC or Mac?

I have a good deal of experience with it on PCs that I'd be willing to share. It would be easiest to do so by pointing to other relevant posts but I'm reluctant to do so because I might be banned from ever posting on the DUC again. Am I being overly paranoid Manny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman_t View Post
I am using ProTools 12 with a Yamaha analog mixer with no problems and am planning to upgrade to a Roland Studio Capture (I have and am using a wide variety of Roland gear and really like their quality). Does anyone have experience using the Studio Capture with PT12?

Last edited by Amack; 07-30-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM

Other users have had proboems with Roland capture interfqces with pro tools 11. I would guess thqt it may be the same with pro tools 12

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340305

Wave-T.com
Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 PM

I have an octa capture 1010 and NEVER had any kind of problems using it in pro tools. I have an HD rig and always use my octa capture with pro tools without any problems, and I also think that it actually sounds better than my Omni HD. Just my two cents.

Oh, I am yosemite 10.10.4 and have used my roland since mountain lion and pro tools 9. I have had 10, 11 and now 12 with it. Roland is excelent. Keep your drivers up to date and that's it!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianduarte View Post
I have an octa capture 1010 and NEVER had any kind of problems using it in pro tools. I have an HD rig and always use my octa capture with pro tools without any problems, and I also think that it actually sounds better than my Omni HD. Just my two cents.

Oh, I am yosemite 10.10.4 and have used my roland since mountain lion and pro tools 9. I have had 10, 11 and now 12 with it. Roland is excelent. Keep your drivers up to date and that's it!
The op has windows system specs in his profile, and those that have been having problems with the capture series and windows 11 were all on windows.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 PM

Maybe you can help here then? http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=369408&page=4 (unless he's already solved his problems - I haven't heard.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianduarte View Post

Old 07-31-2015, 08:10 PM

catman_t

I played around some more today with our Studio Capture on a my son's Windows 8.1 laptop running PT12.1. It looks like I'm going to have to modify my startup workaround procedures to reflect apparent changes in 12.1. (I'll probably do that tomorrow). But, the good news is that it appears that as long as the buffer size is large enough (likely not really a problem because of it's nice direct monitoring capabilities), it may now be sufficiently stable for recording long sessions.

Amack

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman_t View Post
Old 07-31-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Other users have had proboems with Roland capture interfqces with pro tools 11. I would guess thqt it may be the same with pro tools 12

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340305
There was a major incompatibility with the Roland Capture devices in PT11 early on. Avid fixed whatever it was in 11.1 I think.

I have successfully used the OctaCapture in PT 11.1+ on Windows 7 and Mac OSX many times since that initial fix.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-01-2015, 09:13 AM

JC,

Do you always use the same sample rate and interface?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340704&page=16

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ad/110307-3779

Maybe AVID broke it again in 12?

Amack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
There was a major incompatibility with the Roland Capture devices in PT11 early on. Avid fixed whatever it was in 11.1 I think.

I have successfully used the OctaCapture in PT 11.1+ on Windows 7 and Mac OSX many times since that initial fix.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
JC,

Do you always use the same sample rate and interface?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340704&page=16

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ad/110307-3779

Maybe AVID broke it again in 12?

Amack
Most of the time yes I use the same sample rate, 48k. But I switch between the OctaCapture, which is owned by the building I work for, and my own Focusrite Scarelett 18i20, and also Dante Virtual Sound Card via my ethernet connection.

I have not had good luck changing sample rates with Protools 11. I seem to have to restart Protools at least twice before it will recognize an interface running a sample rate different from what it was previously.

I don't use Protools 12, so I can't comment on those issues.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One