Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-07-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Upgrade Protools HD on new Mac Pro (2017)

Hello, i´m posting this because i have some questions about upgrading my profesional studio...

I am actually working with a Mac pro 2009 and a protools HD (3), and i want to upgrade to a new Mac pro 2017, but my PCIe cards are not compatible with this new computer, so here we go with my doubts...

Wich is the right way to upgrade to the new Mac pro using my same protools HD? i don't want to spend lots of money, but i have some budget...

Does exist any PCIe cards that are compatible with this new computer (Mac Pro 2017) without changing my protools HD... or should i buy any new hardware from avid and make it work on the new Mac pro?

Also i want to upgrade my protools software from 9 to 11, but i see that is not compatible with the computer that i have actually...

It would be a good option to buy the Apollo 16 and working with the new Mac pro 2017 and protools at the same time? and, on this option, my plug ins like waves, rtas, tdm´s work with apollo and protools???...

I will be so grateful to hear from your advise and i hop to find here the best solutions...

Have a great day!

XERONIMO
Old 06-07-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Protools HD on new Mac Pro (2017)

I expect you need to do a lot more research. On both the computer and Pro Tools side.

People will not be able to giver you usefully advice unless you can explain in more detail what and why you are trying to do this. What do you want to achieve at a high level

Apple is dumping the trashcan Mac Pro and bringing out a new "modular" Mac Pro. Why would you want to buy a trashcan now?

But even with a new modular Mac Pro it won't run any Mac OS that supports Pro Tools 10 (the last version of Pro Tools that supports TDM cards). If you want to keep the TDM cards (and ability to use TDM plugins) on a Mac your *only* options are a Mac Pro cheese grater, or a hackintosh. TDM cards will *not* run in Thunderbolt PCIe expansion bays with a Mac Pro (or other Macintosh).

What exactly are you trying to do and why? Like get off or stay on TDM? Do you want to be on Pro Tools 11/12 for 64-bit? Do you want to stay on Pro Tools 9 HD? (why?). etc.

If you want to stay on TDM you need to find a older Mac that can host your TDM cards. Or upgrade the one you have now.. what exact model do you have now and why exactly do you want to move off it?

What interfaces do you own now? If you don't want to be on TDM or HDX then what interfaces do you want to own? There may or may not be a reason to go with HD Native and use your existing interfaces or get out of it all and

Do you need Pro Tools HD at all for Pro Tools 12? For what features? (like tracking with > 64 IO, or need to support Digilink interfaces.). It may be a perfect time to get off Pro Tools HD to standard and non-Avid interfaces.

If you want to get off TDM do you have alternate AAX-Native plugins and a solution for low-latency tracking (if you happen to track through lots of plugins now).

Your info also says you have a Control 24.... that won't work with anything beyond Pro Tools 10. So is that needed as well or are you replacing that? With what?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-07-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Is your 2009 a quad or eight core?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Is your 2009 a quad or eight core?
Welcome to Barry's School of Cheesegrater upgrades...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I do like to help people out, it's in my DNA. You'd be surprised how many people that still don't know about this. This is a revival, and I'm leading folks to the upgrade promise land!!!! Hallelujah my brother!!!!!!!!

So far, with these little simple replies, I've walked 7 people here on the DUC through the process of upgrading thier 2009 MP's, spent much of today helping a DUC member going back and forth via text today on his upgrade! Imagine this spoken with a southern fire and brimstone voice!

On a serious note:

One thing I've always been perplexed on, where did the term Cheesegrater come from, I still haven't figured that one out. I'm always the last to know in things like that!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 PM

The perforated front looks like a cheese grater.

I think what you are helping with is great, the Trashcan was such a stupid move by Apple and keeping the Cheesegraters going is good. I hope the new Mac Pro borrows from the Cheesegrater packaging.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49 PM

Somebody did it...

http://imgur.com/gallery/dcuM8iZ
Old 06-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
. I hope the new Mac Pro borrows from the Cheesegrater packaging.

This is one of the problems with Apple...everything is called pro.... iMac Pro, they don't even have a standard Mac Book anymore do they?

Next year they will be selling the iPhone Pro, then won't touch the internals for 5years and still expect you to pay Top Shelf pricing
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 PM

The MacBook is alive and well for a while, they just upgraded it this week. No I'd not want one.

The iMac Pro is a good improvement on an iMac, but trying to stuff up to an 18 core Xeon in a package that was derived for a laptop motherboard like thermal load is a pretty dumb starting point. It may be more George Foreman indoor grill than usable computer. I take it all as Apple seem worried by the Microsoft Surface PC and wanted to counter that. At least it's nice to see Apple at least pretend to try with competitive CPUs. I will give them my money if they come up with a decent Mac Pro replacement. Until then I'm wanting to do a X299 build to play with (largely not for Pro Tools stuff).