Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 AM

Default SSL Nucleus setup

Hi, I searched for nucleus but found nothing, to my surprise.

I have mine installed and configured according to the install manuals, but can't seem to find any info on how to assign the channels and keys. The SSL documentation (or what passes for it) tells me what can be assigned but not how to do it. Hopefully I am missing something obvious.

So far, all my scribble strips say OffLnR which I assume means off line. Yet, the transport controls seem to work. If I move the faders up and down I get random (or at least what appears to be random) fader movement on my DAW mixer.

I am running ProTools 10.2 on Windows 7 64.

Any insight would be wonderful. At this point, I would love to be told I am an idiot and just see some document! Considering the money I paid, I am ready to toss this otherwise nicely made, piece of kit out the window!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM

Default Re: SSL Nucleus setup

TRY THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DJ0_7qXXo

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southboundloco View Post
Thanks, but not a lot of help yet...
I don't get the automatic channel assignments and nothing on the scribble strips.
Plus I don't want default assigned channels. I would have hoped that I would be able to assign which tracks went to which channels, like the real world...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Is it also your interface or only a controller? If its just a controller, what interface are you using?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM

I don't think you're an idiot (after all, you did buy an SSL!), but...

You really do need to download and read all of the following:

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/docs/...tion_Guide.pdf

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/docs/...s_Tutorial.pdf

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/docs/...User_Guide.pdf

And lest you pull your hair out, note that you can't use the Nucleus' USB Soundcard with Pro Tools on Windows...you can only use the Nucleus as a control surface with Pro Tools...

Good luck!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks for inputs (ok no pun intended).

I had read all those manuals and watched some of the video. The video assume everything is already working.

SSL did respond to my email and exchanged a few messages during the night.
The time difference was my friend last night! Thank you SSL. He also sent me links to more videos.

I confirmed that my ipMIDI, PT->setup->MIDI and Nucleus Remote settings were correct for MIDI and ethernet.
Somewhere along the way, I have gained consistent fader control, the vpot controls pan and the transport controls work (they worked from the beginning). The mode buttons don't seem to do anything and I only get OffLnR ----- on the scribble strips. I am not at all sure what happened to gain the functionality that I have but it is a good sign.

But none of the buttons north of the faders light up and the whole mode system does not appear to be working. I suspect that it is still not 100% talking to PT.

To answer the other question, I am using a Delta Audiophile 192 interface. However that is probably not an issue here since I am using this to mix sessions that are already tracked.

Thanks for the info on the internal soundcard Bill. Fortunately for me I wasn't planning on using it. I have a Burl B2 ADC and an Apogee Rosetta 200 that I use for DAC. They run into the Delta via SPDIF.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM

The other interesting thing is that when I was watching the videos, when I turned on the Nucleus, the sound on the video stopped and I could not get it back until I turned off the Nucleus and reloaded the webpage at which point I would get a popup saying flash is hung and I would have to kill it and reload the page again and restart the video. Something is not happy...

I have 4 MIDI channels set in ipMIDI.
In the PT->setup->peripherals->MIDI, I have channels 1 and 2 set to the Nucleus and channel 3 set to the MIDI on the Delta sound card.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhair View Post
The other interesting thing is that when I was watching the videos, when I turned on the Nucleus, the sound on the video stopped and I could not get it back until I turned off the Nucleus and reloaded the webpage at which point I would get a popup saying flash is hung and I would have to kill it and reload the page again and restart the video. Something is not happy...

I have 4 MIDI channels set in ipMIDI.
In the PT->setup->peripherals->MIDI, I have channels 1 and 2 set to the Nucleus and channel 3 set to the MIDI on the Delta sound card.
I bet the sound did not 'stop' as much as it was just grabbed by the nucleus audio interface.... so kind of actually doing something likely intended. You just need to work out how to disable that sound interface in Windows.

Darryl
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I bet the sound did not 'stop' as much as it was just grabbed by the nucleus audio interface.... so kind of actually doing something likely intended. You just need to work out how to disable that sound interface in Windows.

Darryl
That makes sense. Thanks. I will look into that.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Thought I should post a resolution to this in case someone finds it in a search:

SSL came through with flying colors. I just have to state publicly that these guys do in fact believe in customer support. After staying with me through the night, the UK guy turned me over to another guy in LA (PST) so we could converse during the day. He called me several times to check up on my progress and gave me his cell phone number. Eventually setup a remote access session (at night, to accommodate my schedule) to check all my computer settings.

Well it turns out that if you are running PT on Windows7 and want it to talk to a control surface through ethernet, you need to have PT set to Run As Administrator (right click on the desktop icon).

Apparently it says something to that effect somewhere, but I missed it.

The Nucleus came to life and does everything it is supposed to do, at least given the restriction that PT can only deal with HUI. Hear that Avid/PT guys? MCU would sure be nice.