How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Acoustic Guitar Tones

I have a question to piggy-back into this discussion:

I have a Boss AC-2. Is that designed to be a "stomp box" that sits in the signal path and run into an amp model or is it designed to be run on a stand alone signal path into a DI? Right now I run a Boss LS-2 that sends one side to the 11R and the other side to a BBE Sonic Stomp -> Boss AC-2 -> LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI. Is this the correct way to implement the AC-2 or should it be inline with the rest of my pedals in the FX Loop of the 11R and run into an amp model?

If it's the latter - that it should be used as a stomp box into an amp model, does anyone have a good amp model to use with the AC-2? Should the cab model be on or off? Any other strategies to try?

... sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but it's relevant to the OP.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM

What's the manual say? Not trying to be rude, but it might give a hint on where to use it as far as in conjuction with the 11R. Is it a guitar simulator or an acoustic processor or both (which i think it is).

If both, my initial thought would be to do opposite of with what dawnsman told me. kill the preamp, go guitar -> 11R -> (in pedal chain in now) bypass preamp -> a bit of chorus/delay/reverb (your choice) -> out. Would the AC-2 go before or after the chs/dly/rvb? I'm thinking before.

To cab or not to cab is remaining question. I guess if there was some sort of FRFR cab in the 11R. I've not dug deep enough to determine.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I selected a Rig that uses the "Lux Normal" amp model, bypassed the distortion in place and did a cab on/off comparision using the Nanomag on the Ultra III. There was quite a positive difference with the cab off. The particular rig had to have a slight volume adjustment on the amp after flipping the cab off, but other than that, it was the same rig.
I've had some interesting results by taking a somewhat different approach. Using my Taylor T5 I turn the amp sim off and turn cab on. In fact it sounds quite cool as an acoustic with both amp/cab off with a bit of para eq/compressor and chorus.

There are also numerous requests on ideascale for an acoustic amp to be included in a future update, Vote here;
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...ussionID=11273

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
What's the manual say? Not trying to be rude, but it might give a hint on where to use it as far as in conjuction with the 11R. Is it a guitar simulator or an acoustic processor or both (which i think it is).

If both, my initial thought would be to do opposite of with what dawnsman told me. kill the preamp, go guitar -> 11R -> (in pedal chain in now) bypass preamp -> a bit of chorus/delay/reverb (your choice) -> out. Would the AC-2 go before or after the chs/dly/rvb? I'm thinking before.

To cab or not to cab is remaining question. I guess if there was some sort of FRFR cab in the 11R. I've not dug deep enough to determine.
... you know... I bought the AC-2 used and didn't get the manual with it. Never thought to search for it online... I have always used it in the past guitar -> BBE Sonic Stomp -> AC-2 -> LR Baggs DI and it worked fine. However, in that setup it wasn't being used in conjunction with any modeler. Since I've tried to use it with the 11R I've experienced a lot of extra noise, buzz, hum... and simply not good results.

So - last night I had a bit of time to experiment. I ran the AC-2 inline with the rest of my stomp boxes in the FX Loop of the 11R. I chose three different clean patches I have, bypassed the cab/mic in each, placed the FX Loop before the amp, and did some tweaking. Two of the patches sound "ok" but the third came out pretty good using the neck pickup of my Strat. I'll test that Sunday morning at church to get the final verdict on it.

However, I did learn some more. The AC-2 has two outs - "Output" and "EG Out". If both outs are used the EG Out is active when the pedal is "off" and is designed to route to the rest of your electric guitar signal chain. The OUTPUT is active when the pedal is "on" and can then route to a DI then to the board. If my above patch turns out to be a loser on the church PA then I'll go with this as my Plan B.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Acoustic w/peizo > 11rack > BLueline Bass amp everything at 12oclock no bright w/no cab > little comp little verb = good to go
Old 06-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegler View Post
Acoustic w/peizo > 11rack > BLueline Bass amp everything at 12oclock no bright w/no cab > little comp little verb = good to go
Thanks but 6 years too late

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 AM

^ and also a flat response is not a great setting for a piezo equipped acoustic..