Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Noise reduction on voice overs

Hey there, I've been given, literally, a blank check to find a way to automate noise/clicks/pops/rumble reduction on voice over dialog for educational software.
We use Audition's spectral editing to cut out unwanted noise/clicks/pops/rumble now, but this is seen as a waste of my time/talent.
I've read up on the Cedar systems, and am trying to find a way to try one out here in Salt Lake (no dealers).
We have PCs running Sonar and Audition, but are willing to get anything that will work.
Anyone have any experience with vo noise reduction and a Cedar product?
Thanks for any help you might have!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Noise reduction on voice overs

Quote:
Hey there, I've been given, literally, a blank check to find a way to automate noise/clicks/pops/rumble reduction on voice over dialog for educational software.
We use Audition's spectral editing to cut out unwanted noise/clicks/pops/rumble now, but this is seen as a waste of my time/talent.
I've read up on the Cedar systems, and am trying to find a way to try one out here in Salt Lake (no dealers).
We have PCs running Sonar and Audition, but are willing to get anything that will work.
Anyone have any experience with vo noise reduction and a Cedar product?
Thanks for any help you might have!
A waste of your time and talent? What business are you in?

You can automate what you are talking about to some degree, but only if you are willing to live with audio that will be under-processed (some noise still in) or over-processed (cure is worse than the disease) in some places. How many places is down to how bad the original is and how good your system is. The Cedar Cambridge can do a great deal of work in a single pass--but you'll still have to play down the results and see if it really took care of business.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM

well you can rent a DNS from some of the rental houses in LA. I know Audio Rents has them I would assume the Audio FX has them.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-10-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
A waste of your time and talent? What business are you in?

I'm in the 'skunkworks' at a large educational software developer. We have 6 people to come up with new ideas and make them into something usable. I'm the only full-time audio guy and editing takes up 90% of my time. Time I could be using to write music, write scripts, do a bit of Flash work...

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to find a rental somewhere close to home (or one that will ship).

Is there anything else out there that might help?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Try Waves-z noise. I know tons of people here are going to trash me for this. I've never done this before but the z-noise plug is supposed to have an adaptive mode. I think you can download the demo from waves.
Best,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Try Waves-z noise. I know tons of people here are going to trash me for this. I've never done this before but the z-noise plug is supposed to have an adaptive mode. I think you can download the demo from waves.
Best,
Brandon
Z-Noise is for broadband BG noise only, like air-conditioning, traffic, system hiss etc. Most problems with VO recordings (generally done in studios) are more event-based, mouth noises, breaths, mic stand hits, page turns, etc, and Z Noise won't help with these at all.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Yep, Audition already does some great background noise reduction (we're in a good studio, so don't need that as much) - it's the clicks and pops etc. from the talent's mouth that we need to get rid of.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Why not use the blank check to pay someone less talented than you to properly edit the material?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Why not use the blank check to pay someone less talented than you to properly edit the material?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:12 PM

If you endorse that check over to me I will manually automate the moves for you. :~)