Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 AM

Default Guitar sounds muddy on all amp models

Just got an Eleven Rack, intending to use it as a guitar preamp in my live rig.

I'm having a problem -- when I enable an "Amp" in the Rig flow, my low-end strings sound muddy. When I disable the Amp, the signal sounds fine. I am having this problem with virtually all the Amp models, even the clean ones.

I have tried manually setting the Tru-Z values, to no avail. The Eleven Rack sounds fine (chorus, reverbs, phasor, etc), except for when I enable an Amp model.

I have tried thru my studio monitors too... same thing....

What am I missing?

Last edited by ksandbergfl; 05-22-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Guitar sounds muddy on all amp models

Well I am no expert but I use the 11r exactly as you for the past 2 or 3 years and I won't go back, to a analog pedal setup (even though I use pedals still)

So you have a patch EQ and you have the amp EQ Check both those
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Default Guitar sounds muddy on all amp models

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandbergfl View Post
Just got an Eleven Rack, intending to use it as a guitar preamp in my live rig.

I'm having a problem -- when I enable an "Amp" in the Rig flow, my low-end strings sound muddy. When I disable the Amp, the signal sounds fine. I am having this problem with virtually all the Amp models, even the clean ones.

I have tried manually setting the Tru-Z values, to no avail. The Eleven Rack sounds fine (chorus, reverbs, phasor, etc), except for when I enable an Amp model.

I have tried thru my studio monitors too... same thing....

What am I missing?

You really need to tell us exactly what you are doing and trying to achieve. You are enabling what amp model? You mean enabling an amp model in the rig or something else? What overall rig flow. If you have enough gain/volume from the rig with no amp sim in there then you likely have pedal outputs running pretty hot. Ideally post a screenshot showing the eleven rack editor and overall rig view and then settings for each device in the signal flow. You should also probably start by playing with an amp and cab sim only and explore getting as much as you can/want from that.

Playing with True Z is about the last thing I would do, lots more basic stuff to do first.

What artistically are you trying to achieve/sound like? What guitar and pickups do you have? What exact speakers/monitors are you driving? When you say you want to use this live as a preamp live are you driving a guitar amp/cab (what exact setup? Going into loop return? Or are you driving into FOH and full range monitors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk