Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Drive type for KU12 Ultimate

What kind of drive did KU12 Ultimate come on? I know it's an external but what's the connection to the computer? My current working system only has FW800 and USB2; lost Thunderbolt when my iMac died a year ago. And there's no way to add Thunderbolt to a Mac cheesegrater

Almost forgot: my ISP max speed is 50 meg but rarely gets to even half that.

QAPLA!

Last edited by jeffro; 11-19-2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: New topic moved from original thread.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Black Friday Plugin Bonanza!

Hey Jack

It came on a USB3 drive but says it works with USB2 connection aswell.

Installed on a separate hard drive SSD 1TB and took like 4-5 hrs. Then it needs to download a few VI that didn't come on the drive like Thrill and Kontakt6 library and a few others. Something like 10GB needs to be downloaded after installation of the drive content.

For the guys who PM'd me asking if you can use the NI drive as a external drive for samples etc the answer is NO. It is way too slow and it is supposed to be holding installers for KU12 only.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Black Friday Plugin Bonanza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey Jack

It came on a USB3 drive but says it works with USB2 connection aswell.

Installed on a separate hard drive SSD 1TB and took like 4-5 hrs. Then it needs to download a few VI that didn't come on the drive like Thrill and Kontakt6 library and a few others. Something like 10GB needs to be downloaded after installation of the drive content.

For the guys who PM'd me asking if you can use the NI drive as a external drive for samples etc the answer is NO. It is way too slow and it is supposed to be holding installers for KU12 only.
Thanks for the info as there's nothing on the NI site other than to say it's available on an external drive.

QAPLA!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Drive type for KU12 Ultimate

Im still on 11 Standard, but will look at updating to 12 as soon as updates are on sale.

Sadly, I can’t afford the expense of SSDs, not in the terabytes at least. I ended up getting a WD Black as they are one of the fastest conventional HDDs around.

Yeah, sure things take a bit of time to load up and it maybe worthwhile investing in a SSD for your most used, deep samples libraries, but a fast HDD will handle the bulk of libraries. Only a little patients is required.