Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Default iPad requirements for PT App

I saw this page. https://www.avid.com/products/pro-to...specifications

But I'm a PC guy and not familiar at all with Apple Products. So my question is regarding the WiFi aspect of the iPad. Does that mean that I can't run a direct line (as in just hard wired the iPad, like the PC and other Artist Series Hardware) to the network?

How, exactly, does this work?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Avid

Default Re: iPad requirements for PT App

You can connect the iPad wirelessly to your network. If its a good network without too much trafic and you are not too far away from the router then it will work fine. If this isnt reliable then you can buy the Camera adpater from apple which is basically an ethernet cable and plug it into the network directly. (I use wifi)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
You can connect the iPad wirelessly to your network. If its a good network without too much trafic and you are not too far away from the router then it will work fine. If this isnt reliable then you can buy the Camera adpater from apple which is basically an ethernet cable and plug it into the network directly. (I use wifi)
Thanks. My wife is buying me one on eBay for my birthday. I'm looking at 9.7" & 10.5" models 2nd Gen. with 256GB. I keep seeing terms like "non CA version" and "Wifi + Cellular (Unlocked)." I have no idea what these terms mean.

IF THEY EVER MAKE S3's LINKABLE, I'd consider upgrading to a pair of them and a Dock. Is the 10.5" too big to fit on the Dock's chasis?

As long as S3's are limited to just 1+ Dock, I'll stick with the Mix Units. Outside of that consideration, I have no idea what I'll need besides the iPad and the PT App.

Can you help me pick the right one?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Avid

I just updated the iPad compatibility chart here iPad Control support

As for unlocked...that means that the celular is not locked to ATT or Verizon etc.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:10 AM

Hey Keyplayer,
my experience is the Pro Tools Control App is very frugal with iPads. I’m using a few different models and have a very old iPad 2 in the PT Dock. There is no different or worse user experience than with the latest iPad 2018 with this application while there is a huge difference when using the iPad for browsing or other work.
You don’t have advantages from a new iPad with massive storage if you want to set it into the Dock, even the “pro” models don’t have advantages with PT Control.
I guess a used iPad in the 150 USD/Euro range is a good solution.

Best

Mark