Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Default Re: No Patches or Sounds available in Xpand2 (only lists None)

For the record, I've edited my post #37 in order to add some instructions with Mavericks (to solve the .big file not found). Modifications are in bold.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM

Hi All & Demodigi,

I've been having the same problem as everyone else with Xpand on a fresh Mac ML10.8.5 and PT10.3.10HD installation (see my system specs below), and just wanted to drop a quick note here in case I've accidentally stumbled upon an easier way to fix the problem with it not remembering it's ".big" location.

Demodigi, I read your long solution (post #37) very carefully and was preparing to try editing my pref file "com.digidesign.xpand!.plist" to include the extra information between the <dict> and </dict> as instructed, using TextWrangler. I'd just downloaded TextWrangler but hadn't yet opened the .dmg or installed the software, and in preparation I decided to make a copy of my "com.digidesign.xpand!.plist" file onto the desktop to edit the copy. It asked for my password to make the copy and seemed to take quite a while to copy for a file that is so small (107 bytes), but that didn't concern me at all.

Now the sneaky part. Upon getting info on the copy from the desktop, I noticed that in the Preview pane, the Unix instructions were exactly how they were supposed to be. See picture attachment.

I then tried "Getting Info" on the master original file inside my preferences folder, and it refused to show any kind of preview information. So I just went ahead and replaced the original with the copied one from the desktop and it now shows info correctly from the original preferences folder location, and Xpand remembers it's .big location correctly. Result!!! I can't see why having TextWrangler around would have influenced this, but maybe it did.

Hope this helps anyone else having this problem. If it works, please let us know here.

Cheers.

Steve Bush
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xpand.plist Get Info Window.jpg (21.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 AM

Guys,

Sorry, that last picture was a bit fuzzy (total beginner with image manipulation stuff). Trying another "focused in more" screenshot.

Cheers.

SB
Attached Images
File Type: png LARGER Xpand.plist Get Info Window.png (43.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig
I've been having the same problem as everyone else with Xpand on a fresh Mac ML10.8.5 and PT10.3.10HD installation (...)
So I just went ahead and replaced the original with the copied one from the desktop and it now shows info correctly from the original preferences folder location, and Xpand remembers it's .big location correctly.
I don't know why you still had the issue after a clean install. But I suppose you had a mess in your plist file or folder permissions that prevent the applications (ie : Xpand plug-ins) to properly read and/or write on the plist file.

Quote:
I decided to make a copy of my "com.digidesign.xpand!.plist" file onto the desktop to edit the copy. It asked for my password to make the copy (...)
When trying to copy a plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop, Login password is NOT required. I suggest you to repair the permissions of you're system HDD with Disk Utility.

I also suggest to make a backup copy of your "com.digidesign.xpand!.plist" so that you can replace it at any time if Xpand plug-ins change something an lost again you're .big location.

Quote:
I noticed that in the Preview pane, the Unix instructions were exactly how they were supposed to be.
Normally, if you made a full clean install of both "Pro_Tools_10_3_10_Mac.dmg" and "Avid_Virtual_Instruments_10_3_Installer.dmg", everything should work right away (See below). Avid solved the issue within the installation process as far as you are using the latest installers (but I suppose they can't modify the code (and behavior) of the plug-ins themselves).

For example, in my situation, I still have the issue with PT10.3.10 & OS.9.5 because I only installed the virtual instruments plug-ins (.dpm files) but not the sample library contents (.big files) that were already installed on another HDD (.big files didn't change since 2012). By doing this, plist file aren't created during installation and aren't properly updated by the plug-ins when trying to add/change the .big location.

I will modify my previous post according to that.

Quote:
Result!!! I can't see why having TextWrangler around would have influenced this, but maybe it did.
Text Wranger is needed ONLY if you're plist file is "empty" (doesn't have any location inside), or if you moved your .big file in another location than the default folder.

Yesterday, I made a clean install of OSX.8.5 and Pro Tools 10.3.10 Native (to perform comparison test between ML, Maverick & El Capitan).

This time, I fully installed the Virtual instruments (both plug-ins AND .big on the system HDD) and everything worked without any trick. Here is the process I made :
- formatting HDD (actually a SSD) : HFS+, Journalised (NON case-sensitive)
- clean install of OSX.8.3
- install OSX.8.5 combo update (from a DMG not from the Appstore)
- repair disk permissions (with Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app)
- install "Pro_Tools_10_3_10_Mac.dmg", launch Pro Tools + test session
- install "Avid_Virtual_Instruments_10_3_Installer.dmg", launch Pro Tools + test session with Virtual instruments
=> no issue, .big file have been found straight away

After installation, plist files containing the .big locations are actually located in the System's Preferences folder :
[System HDD]/Library/Preferences/
Content :
com.digidesign.Boom.plist
com.digidesign.Mini Grand.plist
com.digidesign.Structure.plist
com.digidesign.Xpand2.plist (but I'm not sure Xpand actually uses this file => I confirm)
Note : Those files are missing if you do NOT install the sample library (.big files)

For xpand, .big file's location is actually in the User's Preferences folder:
[System HDD]/Users/[Login]/Library
Content :
com.digidesign.Mini Grand.plist (=> do NOT originally content the .big file location)
com.digidesign.ProTools.plist
com.digidesign.Structure.plist
com.digidesign.xpand!.plist (=> DOES content the .big file location) => I confirm this file is actually used by XPand!.dpm (RTAS)
This folder (User Preferences) and plist files can content the .big location if you want to move sample libraries (the process I described post #37 still works).

Also note the System's HDD file format might be important with plist file's names if you are using a HFS+ Case-Sensitive. In this case, try to change "com.digidesign.xpand!.plist" to "com.digidesign.Xpand!.plist".
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1

Last edited by demodigi; 12-31-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: corrections (dpm instead of aaxplugins)
Old 04-26-2016, 12:45 PM

You are an absolute legend for solving this issue. How do you figure this type of stuff out by yourself? I literally would never have solved this w/out your help, Avid's customer support literally does not want you to solve your problems w/out payment I seriously am disappointed in how much money I've wasted on a product that developers don't give a **** about.
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 AM

Thx!!!! good job! works!