Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 - Can't Record

I'm new to Pro Tools, and can't record - can't tell if its user error, or a glitch.

Here's my setup:
HP Desktop running Windows 8.1 with 3.0 GHz i-5 4430 CPU, 12GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

Here's what I've done:
Run all of the recommended Pro Tools optimizations, Installed the Interface and Mixing software, selected the proper I/O, and de-selected "Dynamic Plug-In Processor" under the playback engine (I know this was an issue for other users). Prior to recording, I am getting a signal on the mic on both Pro Tools, and the interface, so I can tell that they are connected.

To record, I've selected the proper I/O's, selected the record button for the individual track, and the overall session, and hit play/spacebar to begin recording. When I do this, the STOP, PLAY, and REC buttons all flash one time, and stop the recording (recording 0 seconds total). It also crashes at this point roughly 3 out of 5 times that I try it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 - Can't Record

I've got the same problem running Windows 8 64-bit, PT11 on a Sony Vaio laptop with my Scarlett 18i20. Crashes everytime I try to record.

I have been scouring the web for solutions but have found nothing. Uninstalling and reinstalling Scarlett software does fix the problem. I wrote Focusrite 4 days ago and 3 days ago giving them a complete layout of my setup and they haven't responded.

I hope someone can offer some guidance. If I don't get any answers in the next couple of days, I am serious considering returning the Scarlett and going for a MOTU828MK3.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM

Sorry - reinstallation of Scarlett software does NOT fix the problem.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM

I seriously doubt if the interface has much to do with it.
What are we doing for hard drives here? Using a separate dedicated recording drive?
Did you disable any floppy controllers in BIOS and device manager (even if you don't have an actual floppy, you might still have to disable the controller.)
Also make sure there aren't any stray markers on the timeline bar. I've had mine just record between markers (that I hadn't noticed) and then stop.

P.S. toddg7777: It might be the same ISSUE, but your system bears no resemblance to the original poster, so I'd highly recommend starting your own thread instead of camping onto this one. Also, you both need to post Sandra reports.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not saving to an external drive, at this point, but am going to try pointing it to the one that I bought for backups to see if that works. I have almost 1TB of empty hard drive space on my computer, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but its worth a shot.

I've had the same problem with Focusrite not responding to my emails.

Let me know if you find out anything else!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf71 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not saving to an external drive, at this point, but am going to try pointing it to the one that I bought for backups to see if that works. I have almost 1TB of empty hard drive space on my computer, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but its worth a shot.

I've had the same problem with Focusrite not responding to my emails.

Let me know if you find out anything else!
Hi

Pro tools Requires a dedicated Harddrive for recording to, doesn't have anything to do with how large the OS drive is whatsoever. You have to get a separate recording drive where you save and record your sessions to. PT will never work properly without it. Avid states this in the requirement pages.

Important: this external drive HAVE to be a minimum of 7200 rpm and NO green or blue drives, the best ones for this is the WDC Black 7200 rpm 64 MB cache. Nothing below 7200 rpm. Same goes for the OS drive, if you have a medium fast computer you have to have a 7200rpm drive there too

Best of Luck
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 AM

Straight from the AVID troubleshooting page:
IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:
  • 7200 rpm or faster
  • 9ms seek time or faster
Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Awesome. Thanks, so much! I'll set up the appropriate drive, and report back.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Focusrite

Hi Guys,

This does sound like driver issues you describe. Playhead not moving, just blinking, is a driver issue indication.

I apologize that we have been slower on the email response time in the weeks following the holiday. We have had a larger than normal influx but we are working hard to get back to you all quickly and get things back to the desired quick response time.

If you want to provide any case numbers to me in a PM I will be happy to look them up and respond personally.

Can you both confirm that you have installed the latest MixControl 1.7, which contains the 2.5.1 driver: http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?pr...Scarlett+18i20

Are you able to get audio out of other programs such as iTunes or Windows Media Player, or Reaper?

Can you both check in Windows > Device Manager > Sound Video and Game Controllers that the 18i20 is connected and Device Status says Working Properly?

If not please try all available USB ports. One may perform better than another.

Additionally you can try this alternate USB driver 2.5b4: http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/f..._usb2_drivers/

Please let me know how you come along, or how I can assist you.

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 PM

The 2.5b4 driver worked for me!