Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 AM

Default Re: AAE error -9173 stronger than ever on PT 12.5

Burbree - just downloaded it and will give it a spin today.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Be shure to backup your drive always just in case !

Keep the volume UP !
Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM

I’ve had this error ever since upgrading to HDX from TDM last year.
Its now gone. Completely.
What changed?
I upgraded my Graphics card from the original nVidea supplied with the Mac Pro 5,1 to the latest all singing all dancing Geforce GTX 970. This entailed installing a driver and not using the Mac’s built in driver.
Coincidence - Maybe but nothing else changed because I was already on Sierra with problems before the card change.
I noticed on Yosemite and El Capitan that I had a serious ballistics issue with the meters especially with a plug-in open.
Avid told me there was an issue. This has also been resolved with the Graphics Card change.
Is the error Graphics related or is this just a coincidence….
Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Be shure to backup your drive always just in case !

Good advice.

I have made three short videos on the subject of Fast! in use with Pro-Tools 12, I am going to start a new thread and post the You Tube links there.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drummer View Post
I’ve had this error ever since upgrading to HDX from TDM last year.
Its now gone. Completely.
What changed?
I upgraded my Graphics card from the original nVidea supplied with the Mac Pro 5,1 to the latest all singing all dancing Geforce GTX 970. This entailed installing a driver and not using the Mac’s built in driver.
Coincidence - Maybe but nothing else changed because I was already on Sierra with problems before the card change.
I noticed on Yosemite and El Capitan that I had a serious ballistics issue with the meters especially with a plug-in open.
Avid told me there was an issue. This has also been resolved with the Graphics Card change.
Is the error Graphics related or is this just a coincidence….
Where did you purchase it?

I found a bunch of gtxcards that can run in a mac pro on eBay.

Is your card flashed for mac or just a pc card?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by arche3; 04-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:36 AM

I purchased the card in the UK from a company associated with MacVidCards of California (http://www.macvidcards.com/). I have used several of their flashed cards in my video work.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drummer View Post
I purchased the card in the UK from a company associated with MacVidCards of California (http://www.macvidcards.com/). I have used several of their flashed cards in my video work.
Ah thanks. Same place my friend recommended.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Hi guys,

Thought I'd pitch in with my harrowing experiences in: "ERROR 9173 - The End of Mankind"

I've got a beast-mode computer: 5690x, 64GB ram, M.2 SSD, yada yada.

Never had this problem til 12.7.1 and then only sporadically.

Then in early April, it got bad on one particular session which had lots of different arcane plugins, including BlueCat's VST controller.

Anyway, I tried everything recommended and more. Not solving the problem. I start jiggering around in my BIOS, disabling cores, overclocking, underclocking. Nothing.

Finally, I hit the wall. I took a long, slow look into the eye of my center channel Amphion tweeter, and I decided to...REFORMAT THE SSD.

So. I bite the bullet, reinstalled Windows 7 and everything the **** else. Took about one day of my life to do but I'm guessing 6 or 7 from the tail end.

Finally, the moment arrives. I load up the session, hold my breath, squeeze my sphincter, and push play.

AND..... -9173. A silent scream emerges from deep with my soul. ::The following 5 to 10 minutes are redacted.::

At this point, I leave LA for a preplanned trip to Savannah, GA. Beautiful place. Southern Gothic abounds. Highly recommended.

Back in LA, the demon awaits. But with my spirits renourished from my sojourn, I embrace the fire.

I start taking notes, putting all the pieces together and here is how I got this session, unplayable a week before to operating normally:

Read on another thread (probably was in this one too) someone advising to create a new session and import the data into it. I thought this was a good idea. But I didn't do it. I wanted to try something else first.

I shift-opened the session, and started tinkering. One by one enabling the plugins until I got the -9173. Didn't really see that any one plugin was to blame. As soon as I reached a certain CPU-usage threshold, a -9173 appeared. It seems as if something in how the plugins are playing with PT, in this particular session, was amiss.

So I saved my plugin preferences, all 90 or so of them...and removed them.

Put them back in, one by one, and got to the point where normally CPU usage would bring up a -9173...and nothing. Instantiated more and more of them. No -9173s.

I began to see colors again. Impossibly, a lovely Robin made its way into my studio and alighted on my index finger. The Robin gazed into my eyes. A look that told me everything would be OK.

I installed FAST! for good measure and set the disk cache size from auto to 5GB. Two days in, the session is still playing great. Not a -9173 in sight.

Sorry for the ramble, but that's the way I roll.

Final thought, I can't come up with any info on FAST! and it didn't work for me before I removed and reinstalled the plugins. And I don't know if it's doing anything for me now. Are there any 3rd party reviews or scrutinization of the software aside from the anecdotes on this thread?

Good luck out there soldiers.

Last edited by WeinsteinSound; 05-02-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:27 AM

It's a shame what we all have to dot to make a DAW THAT WE PAID FOR, working normally.

It's almost like going to cosmetic surgery for fitting in your favorite shoes. That's a freaking non-sense.

I'm really fed up with the spikes error. I've increased the Disk Cache to compensate.
I've noticed that it happens more when tracks are edited.
Also it helps to get the session cleaned by : command shift B then commend shift U.

But it still freaking happening.

To me it doesn't seems to be linked with plugins.
I have got a session, running QUITE smoothly, and the session is pretty heavy in tracks and processing but not so much aux and busses (basic punk rock music so not too much stuff going on).

Next to that I've got another session that started to getting buggy really quickly. And on this session I've got a lot of busses (like creative delays stuff and so on). But the session started to bug BEFORE I even put the delay plugins, just creating the Aux seems to be enough to make it lag.

Even more noticeable : All my sessions start to bugs when I create a Mixbus Aux track and send this track via buss to a stereo audio track for printing.

That's freaking crazy, can't believe that I paid for what I'm working with right now...

Last edited by Guilla; 09-14-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 PM

I also had this issue persistently within Windows 10. For whatever reason, rolling back to Windows 7 solved the issue.

My SANDRA report:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Report%202.txt

OS/apps, sessions, and samples all on separate drives.