Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Default Tired of the constant crashes

Pro Tools has become unusable. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, clean installed, optimized, had the computer checked and re-checked, removed plug-ins, updated, back dateded, had every tech available try and still, like others have said, once the crash party starts ITS ON!!

I have years and money invested and loads of files in the Pro Tools format. At this point though I have been put out of business by Pro Tools and can no longer use my studio.

Sure, I can get another DAW, but what happens to all those files I have and need to work on - GONE?

Who compensates me for the lost time while I learn this new DAW.

Who compensates me for the time it will take to transfer everything to a new platform.

This is not an accident. This is the tail wagging the dog. We do not need subscriptions, Avid does. To justify the subscriptions they have been adding garbage to the program so they can legally claim an upgrade and collect a fee.

It just seems to me that those of us who have invested time and money in Pro Tools needed for it to be left alone when it was working. Avid was trying to revive their cash cow and instead simply kicked it to death.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Tired of the constant crashes

Oddly, since I moved to Sierra 2 weeks ago, my PT 12.7.1 has been rock solid. Not one single crash. I was just breathing a sigh of relief. Not sure I dare move to 12.8. Trashcan 6core, 32 Gb ram 1 TB pcie flash drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Pro Tools has become unusable. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, clean installed, optimized, had the computer checked and re-checked, removed plug-ins, updated, back dateded, had every tech available try and still, like others have said, once the crash party starts ITS ON!!

I have years and money invested and loads of files in the Pro Tools format. At this point though I have been put out of business by Pro Tools and can no longer use my studio.

Sure, I can get another DAW, but what happens to all those files I have and need to work on - GONE?

Who compensates me for the time it will take to transfer everything to a new platform.

This is not an accident. This is the tail wagging the dog. We do not need subscriptions, Avid does. To justify the subscriptions they have been adding garbage to the program so they can legally claim an upgrade and collect a fee.

It just seems to me that those of us who have invested time and money in Pro Tools needed for it to be left alone when it was working. Avid was trying to revive their cash cow and instead simply kicked it to death.

So tell us about your setup, so we can help you!!
I have absolutely no crashes, maybe its a simple thing to diagnose.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Last time I had a problem such as you describe, it turned out to be a faulty hard drive. Would pass every test, but the problem only went away when I replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 01:32 PM

I think the last properly working PT was PT12.4.1.

After that I have had many crashes with 12.5, 12.6, 12.7.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post

let me take a guess on your system info ..

1) Tube Computer - takes 4 highly train operators to get it started up
2) OS - OS9.2
3) Pro Tools version - 3.1

ok, your turn .. help us either help you or agonize along with you !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro